error 70020

Hi I'm trying to purches an item on ebay now it tells me everytime i try to checkout error 70020, yes i know i have a minus balance in my paypal account but what i'm trying to do is pay for the item+the minus balance in my paypal account... now i don't want to transfer funds into my paypal account as it can take up to 5 working days and that would most likely give me bad feedback on my ebay account... so is there any way around this or do i have to wait and contact paypal customer support?

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

error 70020

First off it is over 5 years since a seller could leave neg feedback for a buyer, if they leave a pos with a neg comment then it will be removed if reported and the seller issued with a policy violation.

Unless you are a seller it is very unusual for theire to be a negastive balance in your Paypal account and even if you did then you would not be able to pay for the neg balance in with the seller's payment.

I would call Paypal and ask what is going on, you have 4 days to pay the seller before they can open an unpaid item dispute and another 4 after that before they can close it.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

error 70020

If you google 'paypal error 70020', there are a few hits from a paypal forum.

Looks like the only fix is to pay the negative balance first then pay for your purchases once that is fixed up.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

error 70020

How  do U get a negative balance in your Paypal account?

I get 4 choices of how I wish to pay (when I spend any money thru Paypal) - credit card, bank account, money can be taken from the credit in the account or I also can have money automatically taken out of my bank account with a delayed payment of 21 days - but no choice of negative balance.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

error 70020

or better yet, how about not bidding on items you can't pay for. No wonder sellers get annoyed with some buyers!!!!!

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

error 70020

@bsal6160 wrote:

or better yet, how about not bidding on items you can't pay for. No wonder sellers get annoyed with some buyers!!!!!

, To be fairI don't think the OP realised before he bid that he wouldn't be able to pay. My Paypal account never has anything in it, the money is always deducted from my bank account. I imagine the OP assumed the same would apply with a negative Paypal balance.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

error 70020

I experienced the same problem. I fixed

it by paying my negative balance first ( with a one time payment). After that everything was back to normal, I could buy again.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

error 70020

ring PayPal - they can get the money instantly from your account to fix the neg balance

i did it a few weeks ago. forgot about ebay fees, didn't transfer money over. minus balance. called Paypal instant transfer. cant remember how, not my job, but they did and fixed it up there and then on the spot.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

error 70020

gosh oh gee - i hate it when i answer really OLD threads where most of the participants are unlikely to return.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 9 of 9
Latest reply