hubby put an offer on an item, offer was accepted. got an immediate paynow invoice.

Good Morning Everyone,

Last night, hubby put an offer on an item. It was accepted. He did not realize the item was not the one he wanted at the time.

We recieved an immediate paynow invoice. We did not commit to buy, only put an offer on an item. 

We have contacted the seller twice, and asked the seller to cancel, explaining hubby error.  Nothing has happened yet, except the transaction has now appeared in the shopping cart telling us we are committed to buying the item.  Clicking on the item in the unpaid invoices section of the purchase history, says the seller has re listed the item.  No cancellation though.

What do we do if the seller refuses to cancel this?

Thank you 

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

hubby put an offer on an item, offer was accepted. got an immediate paynow invoice.

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If an offer is accepted then you have committed to buy the item.  You are obliged to pay and the seller does not have to cancel. 

If the seller decides not to cancel he can open an Unpaid Item dispute and issue a strike on your account.  Too many strikes and you will not be able to buy from sellers who have their blocks in place.

The item may have been relisted because the seller has more than one of the item....he has not necessarily relisted the one you bought.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Making an offer is the same as committing to buy.

Otherwise why would you make an offer ?

Pay for the item as seller has been charged fees already.

You can always resell it yourself.

The reason it is relisted may be that the seller has an identical item to sell.

Or they may be unimpressed with your choice of action therefore waiting 4 days so they can open an unpaid item case issueing you with a strike on your account. 2 or more strikes and you cannot buy or bid on eBay from sellers with strike blocks in place.

Suggest anyone using your account reads up on eBay rules before using it.

Site map, bottom of eBay pages.

image host
Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

What do you do if a seller refuses to cancel? You pay for the item you made the offer on. EBay is not a game. Sellers pay a lot of money to sell their items. I'd also suggest READING THE DESCRIPTION before jumping in and buying(oh the horror!). Sellers put a lot of time and effort into writing descriptions, only for people not to read them, then complain when it's not what they thought.

The seller is not obligated to cancel. If I was that seller I wouldn't. If I were you I'd contact the seller saying you'd made a silly mistake by letting someone else use your account and as you don't want the item, to open a non payer dispute after 4 days, then close it 4 days later. Then you can wear the black mark on your account as a badge of honour for the next 12 months, as a reminder to be more careful when buying.

As you have an extensive buying history, you have been given different advice to what would be given to someone who was new to eBay. You have been around long enough to know how things work.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

@family_gj_aj_dd wrote:

Good Morning Everyone,

Last night, hubby put an offer on an item. It was accepted. He did not realize the item was not the one he wanted at the time.

We recieved an immediate paynow invoice. We did not commit to buy, only put an offer on an item. 

We have contacted the seller twice, and asked the seller to cancel, explaining hubby error.  Nothing has happened yet, except the transaction has now appeared in the shopping cart telling us we are committed to buying the item.  Clicking on the item in the unpaid invoices section of the purchase history, says the seller has re listed the item.  No cancellation though.

----------------------------

Wow, I hadn't looked at your feedback score till someone else mentioned it. 1071.

So you have been on ebay a while.

Basically, it is as others have said.

Making an offer isn't any different to making a bid as far as your part in it goes. It is a commitment to purchase-sort of like clicking on buy it now-except you are saying "I'll definitely buy it now if I can get it at this price."

The only real difference to a normal bid is the seller may or may not accept your bid/offer.

Making an offer does not mean-let me know if you'll sell it for this price and then I'll make up my mind whether I want it."

It was up to your husband to have made sure the item was what he wanted.

Okay, so you have committed to buy, you don't want to buy.

Give us one good reason though that the seller should cancel for you? Some may, but you're putting them through inconvenience and bother as they have to recover their fees. Many sellers would just list it as an unpaid item.

So what can you do if the seller refuses to cancel?

If you don't want the thing, don't pay. Simple as that. It will get you a strike but one strike won't matter 2 hoots. No one can see it and it won't affect your purchasing choices-unless you get another one.

So just don't pay, cop the strike this time-but make sure you don't do this or anything like it again within 12 months-keep your husband off ebay-as a second strike is a different kettle of fish.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

True, but then again people reading this may decide they are not will to risk the same being done to them

I know I would not be impressed if someone made an offer, I accepted it and then they turned around and said "nah, don't want this, cancel!"

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Thanks Everyone, all replies are appreciated.  

Yes, been an ebay member for a long time.  Actually since 2005. Left, and returned later. Always had 100%. 

Never had any strikes, or negatives. Always paid immediately. 

Hubby likes the 'make an offer' option.  😞 Did not know making an offer is being the same as committed to purchase.

That has not happened on accepted offers in the past.  Yeah, senior moment. he needs to wear his glasses and I'll ban him from ebay

for his error.  Bad Granddad. 

Thank you for saying one strike doesn't matter. It does to me. 😞  

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Looks like hubby is in the norti corner for a spell. giggle.gif

image host
Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Oh yes, he is, it's the very nauti corner, for nauti Granddads. Wonderful seller cancelled the hubby's error.  Heartfelt Thank you's, and bless you's.  

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

@enigmabear wrote:

True, but then again people reading this may decide they are not will to risk the same being done to them

I know I would not be impressed if someone made an offer, I accepted it and then they turned around and said "nah, don't want this, cancel!"

I agree & I think a seller would be within rights to just carry through with an unpaid item claim where a buyer would get a strike against their account.

But in a practical sense, there isn't anything a seller can do to force a buyer to pay and again, realistically, if a buyer doesn't pay & gets one strike, it won't affect them as far as future buying goes. So everyone can get away with one mistake.

In this case, the seller has been flexible and by the sounds of it, this is a buyer who usually does the right thing so i doubt it will happen again.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply