i bought rgb 100 watt spotlights. they only show 30 watt consumption. is this shonky?

why do my led spotlights measure 30 watt input at 240 volts.

when it says they are 100 watt spotlights?

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

i bought rgb 100 watt spotlights. they only show 30 watt consumption. is this shonky?

I'll bite

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Do they produce light equivelant to traditional 100w lights but at reduced usage being LED's ?

image host
Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Kopes is correct. A traditional standard 100 watt globe would have used a heated filliment wire to provide the light. These used a lot of power to heat the wire.

LED lights use a large number of seperate light emmiting diodes which when combined provide the same light as one heated filliment globe. LED,s are much more energy efficient than traditional wire filliment globes, producing less heat and requiring lower input power to produce the same amount of light. ie. less energy watts are wasted as heat.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

yep but the add shouldnt say 100 watt. should say 30 watt. equivelent to 100 watt filament

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

on globes in hardware and supermarkets they are forced to put 30 watt equivalent to 100 watt filament. think it may be unlawfull not to.

they probably do have light equivalent to 100 watt filament. i spose ill have to admit defeat. just not exactly correct, sticker says 100 watts.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply