international postage cost skyrocketing???

Has anyone else noticed seemingly overnight that the cost of shipping for overseas items (i.e. from the US) has doubled. I had items in my watchlist where the cost of shipping from the US was going to be around $30-40 now costing $70-80. Is this a bug or a ridiculous price increase with the Global Shipping Program?

Luke

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

@lukesauctions wrote:

Is this a bug or a ridiculous price increase with the Global Shipping Program?

Usually, it's the latter - the GSP results in some pretty outrageous postage costs for a lot of things, though can be a more cost effective option for large, heavy items. (eg I used to buy small craft supplies from one seller, shipping was around $3 with a very small additional charge per extra item. Since they switched to the GSP, shipping is $32.00 for each item). 

Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

ams0802
Community Member

Me too. For example efore today, an item that would cost say, $29 to ship to Australia (using GSP).  Today it'll now cost over US$80 to ship to my country.

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

Its would b about time international incoming Air freight stopped being subsidized.

Especially with the needed crack down on hazzardous goods in air freight.

Has been very cheap for a long time.

Tho some r still cheap n dodgy, obviously not declaring properly.

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

@toysandthings12 wrote:

Its would b about time international incoming Air freight stopped being subsidized.

Especially with the needed crack down on hazzardous goods in air freight.

Has been very cheap for a long time.

Tho some r still cheap n dodgy, obviously not declaring properly.

What incoming air freight is being subsidised?

There is no crackdown on hazzardous goods that has not been ongoing for several years.

Do you have any idea what you are talking about?

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

Usually, it's the latter - the GSP results in some pretty outrageous postage costs for a lot of things, though can be a more cost effective option for large, heavy items. (eg I used to buy small craft supplies from one seller, shipping was around $3 with a very small additional charge per extra item. Since they switched to the GSP, shipping is $32.00 for each item). 

I realise that, but these are items that were already on the Global Shipping Program, that are now costing double or even triple what they were just yesterday. For instance, last night I added a hooded jumper to my watch list. The shipping cost was going to be roughly $30-40 - today it is $110!!!! 

This is pretty much across the board for any item I'm watching from the US where the shipping is through the Global Shipping Program. Everything has doubled or tripled in cost overnight. 

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

@ams0802 wrote:

Me too. For example efore today, an item that would cost say, $29 to ship to Australia (using GSP).  Today it'll now cost over US$80 to ship to my country.

I'm glad to know I'm not going crazy! ๐Ÿ™‚

I just rang eBay to see if this is a bug, but they told me they can't do anything without a screengrab showing the price difference.

Surely it has to be a bug. I can understand a small price increase, but no-one would ever buy anything from the US through the Global Shipping Program again with these wacky prices.

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

I think part of the problem with GSP is maybe that sellers (in the USA anyway, not sure about the UK version) have been opted into the GSP without their realsing it, so if they don't have the size/weight of the item Ptney Bowes is more than likely to guess (in their favour of course) what their postage charges will be........................IMHO.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

@lukesauctions wrote:

these are items that were already on the Global Shipping Program, that are now costing double or even triple what they were just yesterday. 

Your OP didn't make that clear (seemingly overnight postage costs have increased is a lot more vague than postage cost on items in the GSP have doubled overnight). 

You might get more informed answers on eBay.com, as the members there are the ones that deal with the GSP, while here in Oz we just gotta pay for it. 

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

Is the postage cost showing the same amount in your watch list and in the listing? Only reason I ask is, I had a few (non GSP) items in my watch list last week and the postage cost in my watch list was about 1/4 of what it stated in the listing (converted to AU$).

What Padi wrote about the weight, I was told that once too when I enquired why one item had $12 postage with GSP and $35 on an identical item from a different seller. Apparently if the seller puts the weight in the cost is a bit more in line with what it should be. Most don't though because they don't know they have to.

Could the items have been relisted either by the seller or automatically and somehow the postage cost increased? Maybe the seller revised the listing and didn't check the postage and it may have defaulted back to postage without a weight being included. Probably unlikely, but just trying to think of scenarios.

Most experienced eBay buyers tend to avoid the GSP at all costs, unless it's for a large bulky item.

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply