purchased item did not show up in sellers sale list

whos at fault before i leave feedback.i purchased an item from my mobile phone at work from a seller i have purchased from before in australia.i only use direct deposit which is excepted by the seller but ebay mobile does not have option to tick item paid.i emailed seller told him its the same as last purchase and money is in your bank and i will mark item paid when i knock off work and get on the laptop to do it ,which i did.he replies no problems i will keep my eye out for payment and send it when cleared.item sat in my purchased list not marked as sent,so after a week i emailed him just to ask why item is not marked as sent as it was past delivery time.he replies that it had never showed up his end that i must not have finalised order.so now its been nearly 2 weeks.yes it is registered and i have no doubt i will recieve it.but if it is in my purchase history and marked as paid how can it not show up his end even though he was aware through my email that i paid....and i have purchased items the identical way from him before and had no issue them times.is it a glitch or am i being fed a line of bull.at the end of the day i dont want leave negative feedback is it is not his fault.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@nickelmickel wrote:

is it a glitch or am i being fed a line of bull.

No one here can know for sure.

On the one hand, there most definitely has been instances in the past when items sold on eBay did not show up on the seller's side of things, and if an item paid for manually isn't marked as "payment received" by the seller, (i.e. the payment status isn't automatically updated like it is with a PayPal payment), then the order wouldn't shift to their "awaiting postage" list, either, and you can't mark an item as "payment received" if it's not appearing in your sold list - an item will remain in a seller's "awaiting payment" list, if it does show, until they mark it as received, even if the buyer marks it as "paymen sent"). 

On the other hand, if someone advises me they've made payment via bank deposit, I look out for it no matter what my eBay page says....

But I'm not the busiest seller around and I'm the only one running the store, so if someone sends me a message, it's not like I have other staff members that would miss the memo to follow things up. Things like may affect the kind of follow-up a transaction receives when something goes wrong, like the type of business (eg high or low volume, sole operator or many staff members attending store admin and so forth). 

Back to the first hand, I don't always follow-up with buyers when they say they're going to do something, or say they have done something, when I see no evidence of it from my end - if I did, I'd spend too much time writing messages like "remember when you said this or that, just thought I'd check to see ..... " and so on, which past experience tells me that at least half the time, it would be a waste of (my) time, and if they're a high volume seller, a bank deposit payment could be missed and/or take a little while to trace back to the right buyer. (I did once make the mistake of attributing a deposit to one buyer who told me they'd paid, when in fact it turned out to be from a completely different buyer who didn't fully complete checkout or mark the item as paid).

So, it could have been any of the above, or a combination, or seller slackness...

FB is really up to you, depends on whether you're prepared to take it as a glitch and / or genuine mistake, or not. I did once have to contact a seller after waiting a few weeks for an order from the US, and they had unfortunately overlooked my purchase entirely, despite having marked it as sent (easy to do when you use ebay's bulk managing tools). That was a clear cut case of seller-error, but not intentional, so I just left positive and said that an oversight had caused a delay, but that the seller resolved quickly and easily. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

have you checked the account number and BSB to make sure they are correct. It's pretty easy to make a mistake in which case the payment can take over a week to bounce back to your account. This might be why the seller hasn't received it.

Don't be leaving bad feedback unless you are certain it has gone through. you know paying by direct deposit is risky you have no buyer protection.
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

To put it bluntly, it is your fault for using bank deposit.   You have no buyer protection and have to rely on the honesty of the seller.

You can mark it as paid for in your ebay but that does not mean that the seller has received the payment, and they certainly will not send it until payment is received, registered or not.

Check in your bank account to see that the payment has not bounced back for some reason.  You could have made a mistake in the account number or any reason.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

yep i sure did i saved him in my netbank favourites and recieved email confirmation straight after payment.so money went in instantly.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

thanks for your assumptions.spoken like a true seller.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

@nickelmickel wrote:

thanks for your assumptions.spoken like a true seller.

Spoken like a forum newbie.....I am not a seller, never have been.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

@nickelmickel wrote:

is it a glitch or am i being fed a line of bull.

No one here can know for sure.

On the one hand, there most definitely has been instances in the past when items sold on eBay did not show up on the seller's side of things, and if an item paid for manually isn't marked as "payment received" by the seller, (i.e. the payment status isn't automatically updated like it is with a PayPal payment), then the order wouldn't shift to their "awaiting postage" list, either, and you can't mark an item as "payment received" if it's not appearing in your sold list - an item will remain in a seller's "awaiting payment" list, if it does show, until they mark it as received, even if the buyer marks it as "paymen sent"). 

On the other hand, if someone advises me they've made payment via bank deposit, I look out for it no matter what my eBay page says....

But I'm not the busiest seller around and I'm the only one running the store, so if someone sends me a message, it's not like I have other staff members that would miss the memo to follow things up. Things like may affect the kind of follow-up a transaction receives when something goes wrong, like the type of business (eg high or low volume, sole operator or many staff members attending store admin and so forth). 

Back to the first hand, I don't always follow-up with buyers when they say they're going to do something, or say they have done something, when I see no evidence of it from my end - if I did, I'd spend too much time writing messages like "remember when you said this or that, just thought I'd check to see ..... " and so on, which past experience tells me that at least half the time, it would be a waste of (my) time, and if they're a high volume seller, a bank deposit payment could be missed and/or take a little while to trace back to the right buyer. (I did once make the mistake of attributing a deposit to one buyer who told me they'd paid, when in fact it turned out to be from a completely different buyer who didn't fully complete checkout or mark the item as paid).

So, it could have been any of the above, or a combination, or seller slackness...

FB is really up to you, depends on whether you're prepared to take it as a glitch and / or genuine mistake, or not. I did once have to contact a seller after waiting a few weeks for an order from the US, and they had unfortunately overlooked my purchase entirely, despite having marked it as sent (easy to do when you use ebay's bulk managing tools). That was a clear cut case of seller-error, but not intentional, so I just left positive and said that an oversight had caused a delay, but that the seller resolved quickly and easily. 

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply