refund on damage from USA

trudy66
Community Member

received an antique - severely damaged in transit. Seller has offered a partial refund being the purchase price of the item only. The post was USPS First Class International Mail - postage alone cost me $112.48 AUD. She wont refund that because she says she cant claim that back - is that so?

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

my full refund popped up last night. Another bad issue fixed.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

The seller is correct that she cannot claim the postage back if the item was not insured but she is obligated to refund the full amount of the item cost plus postage to the buyer.

Just open a dispute in ebay for item not as described and you will get a full refund if found in your favour.   If the seller requires the item to be returned she will have to pay the return postage.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Thanks Lyndal, I opened a request with Ebay for item not as described today and can escalate that to a case in a few days. I do feel bad for the seller  - I think she thinks she's being good to leave the item with me plus a refund but repairs would cost at least $200 and its completely useless in the damaged state.

I needed to know if she was being truthful about not being able to claim the shipping back. The thing looks like its been dragged across a road - its bent, dented with huge black scrape marks across the bottom of it and split in the middle and its metal!

Am I right in assuming that the seller is better protected with USPS Priority International Mail? Is that why some insist on using that rather than the cheaper First Class International option?

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

I'm going to be super nosey here.....what on earth could be so badly damaged if it was properly packed in the first place?

Really, if items are properly packed there should be very little difference between USPS First Class and the Priority services except for price and speed of delivery.  Sellers can add tracking to the First Class service very cheaply but it is included in the Priority services, and to be honest, I would rather wait a few days more to receive my package than pay the exorbitant Priority Post prices.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

I hear you Lyndal and its exactly what I wanted to know so thanks for that. I had ny thoughts about the condition before shipping as well and wondered if the item was cleverly pictured becuase it is so bad and the box it arrived in doesnt show damage. The box isnt looking great but it isnt relating to the amount of damage on the item.

This parcel had tracking on it and yes I dont mind waiting a few extra days either - even with the cheaper price my shipping was $112 AUD.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

my full refund popped up last night. Another bad issue fixed.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Sounds like it wasn't well packed at all.
Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

@ruthrcs wrote:

This parcel had tracking on it and yes I dont mind waiting a few extra days either - even with the cheaper price my shipping was $112 AUD.

I think you were fleeced well and truly by the seller.   The maximum amount of a USPS First Class International Package to Australia is approximately $50 plus the tracking and insurance (if any).   That would be maximum weight, maximum dimensions.

Are you sure that was the postal service used and not one of the priority services?

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

this is a sore point - the labelling only states US Postal Service and the parcel dimensions. I have contacted USPS and been told that what the seller paid and service used is confidential informationa dn they cant disclose that info to me!!

I asked if I could get charges and weight/dimensions list sent to me - answer no.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Why do you need a postal rates table sent to you....look it up on line. The USPs site is very clear and easy to use.

It sounds more like the GSP has been used and that is notoriously expensive.  The seller does send it to Pitney Bowes by USPS but that is where USPS involvement ends and the GSP kicks in and the price increases alarmingly.

Can you post the item number please so someone can check it out for you?

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply