Highlighted
eBay Employee

Selling on eBay - Thursday 21 September from 11.30am

Join the eBay team to talk about selling on eBay from 11.30am on Thursday 21 September.

eBay Employee

Re: Selling on eBay - Thursday 21 September from 11.30am

in reply to michelleoz@ebay.com

Hello and Welcome!

We've got a number of the team here ready to talk all things selling. The thread is now open so please feel free to post your questions.

A few guidelines for posting:

1. We may need to do a bit of research so please be patient as we reply
  2. Please keep questions on topic
  3. Account specific questions will not be answered in a public forum so please keep questions 'general'

We'll be responding to questions for the next hour.

Let's get started.

Michelle

Community Member

When members get selling promotions how are they applied?

Members that currently have the 40 free listings including myself have then received the: List & Sell up to

10 items for free on eBay now!

But there seems to be no way of working out how the new promotion applies to which listings.

On this account any listings that I put up and all the relist of my current listings get taken from the 40

free listings,(so I can't list via the List & Sell up to 10 items for free on eBay now!)

On my other account the relists are coming of the List & Sell up to 10 items for free on eBay now!

If I list any new items on that account they are coming off the 40 free listings,(not the list 10 items).

I naturally prefer any new listings to come off the list 10 items promotion as that's where I'll receive the

biggest benefit.

So can we please find out why new listings are not being used for the list 10 items promotion as it should be.

Community Member

Dear ebay staff, 

Thanks for giving sellers the opportunity to be listened to and get some feedback.

I was wondering if you could please let us know if there’s any future plans to improve the technical aspects of the site? There’s constantly glitches and problems with the functioning of the website which are widespread and from people’s posts on the message boards, it’s clear they aren’t isolated incidents.

After all, ebay is a technology-based business. Sellers and buyers alike want things to work in order to have seamless experience.

Some of the problems being encountered are:

* Page Not Responding error - which I’m sure has been occurring for at least 8+ years now and still hasn’t been fixed.

* Promotions being offered, but then not being able to be used by the people they’re offered to, often having to seek credits after the fact. When using the offer, there is no guarantee at the time of using it whether the credit will be granted or not and so people are skeptical to use them.

* Inconsistency when it comes to people being able to use “Immediate Payment” on their listings for combined postage or even at all - and then most report now it is being forced on them, even if they don’t have “immediate payment” turned on.

These are just a few of the ongoing, countless technical issues people encounter daily.

Obviously, sellers pay fees and amongst other things, like the system being equally fair for sellers as they do for buyers. They just want things to work. No one cares so much about cosmetic changes which are happening all the time, they just want functionality.

If the people in the IT department aren’t able to fix these ongoing problems, maybe it is time to source people who can? What measures, if any, are ebay taking to fix these constant technical problems / glitches?

Thanks for your time.

Community Member

I recently received an email from eBay stating immediate Actionn Required. It went on to state.

"6 of your listings contain(s) contact information such as a phone number, email address or weblinks, which is in violation of listing policies. Non-compliant listings will soon be blocked."

None of the items contained contact information of any kind. Sellers have been banned for having contact information in their ads, so I take this type of error extremely seriously. However eBay seem intend on wrecking sellers businesses by relying on bots to determine such critical information, and it is clear that they are picking up the wrong links. In my case two suspect links were inserted by Turbo Lister and lacked target="_blank", another couple to a eBay affliate Auctiva and the last 2 I have no idea unless CSS links or links to images are now banned, but more likely just due very sloppy programming.  I repeat none of these listings had contact information.

And please don't tell me if you are banned speak to CS they will sort it out.  Well yes they might if they a) speak English (if your lucky) or b) have any idea what you are talking about (Highly unlikely). At best I might waste 4-5 hours of my time, at worse it will never get sorted. Its not Good Enough.

Profanity is no substitute for wit.
Community Member

in reply to go-tazz

This is an on going concern that has being happening for years.

We have a few seed sellers that have come the boards and their complaint is why do eBay allow fake

seeds on this site,(it makes eBay a laughing stock and gardening forums advice not to buy seeds on

eBay as they are all fake because of those fake seeds).

Which impact genuine seed sellers.

There are fake Rainbow Rose seeds,(which are made using food colouring).

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2315708.m570.l1311.R1.TR3.TRC0.A0.H0.Xrainbow+...

There are also other Rainbow plant seeds listed,(which are fake as well).

Coloured Strawberries are “made” by photo shopping the colours in:

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l2632.R2.TR7.TRC2.A0.H1.Xstrawberrie...

The latest is dwarf Banana tree seeds,(most of these listings are fakes):

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=dwarf+ba...

The fakes now are:Rainbow,Green,Black,Blue Roses and other colours,Blue Strawberries and some

other colours,Monkey Orchids,Watermelon seeds in all their fake colours,baby Ginseng fruit,Different

coloured Tomatoes,other Rainbow coloured flowers,etc.

That's well over a thousand fake seed listings.

It's not just this site as other sites have the same problem so why does eBay allow these fakes and why don't

they remove them and restore the site to some credibility?

Community Member

Another issue on selling is that members have been coming to the discussion boards and posting on the

Technical Issues board complaining that they can't list with their free listings,(they get charged the

$1.65 listing fee instead).

Why do we have a Technical Issues board if no one from eBay checks that board or even comments on

it,(members can't “fix” technical issues so eBay needs to monitor that board).

Community Member

Hi....my buyers are currently unable to purchase multiple items and then request a combined invoice. They are paying separately and then I am refunding overpayment of postage?

Please advise a work-around as this is not only tedious but costing more in fees

Cheers

Community Member

This question is from another member who wants to ask:

Why are we now being forced into immediate payment for buy it now items? I am out of pocket a lot of money

due to a buyer buying up and being forced to pay each item separately.

By rights, each item should have been posted separately.

I contacted eBay about getting the fees refunded from having to refund the buyer a significant amount and was

pretty much told to get stuffed. 

I'm guessing it's their way of getting sellers to use free postage, but the items I sell, adding the postage cost

into it  appears to buyers as being a rip off.

Plus, I can't give postage discounts.

For the ones who want to have immediate payment, that's their choice.

I don't see why my choice has been taken away from me.

I want to be able to combine postage for multiple items.

eBay Employee

in reply to go-tazz

go-tazz wrote:

Members that currently have the 40 free listings including myself have then received the: List & Sell up to

But there seems to be no way of working out how the new promotion applies to which listings.

On this account any listings that I put up and all the relist of my current listings get taken from the 40

free listings,(so I can't list via the List & Sell up to 10 items for free on eBay now!)

On my other account the relists are coming of the List & Sell up to 10 items for free on eBay now!

If I list any new items on that account they are coming off the 40 free listings,(not the list 10 items).

I naturally prefer any new listings to come off the list 10 items promotion as that's where I'll receive the

biggest benefit.

So can we please find out why new listings are not being used for the list 10 items promotion as it should be.

Hi Tazz,

Firstly, thanks for the heads up the reply wasn't working! 

You raise a good point here. You're right that there is no easy way to understand which listing promotion is given priority and it's not an ideal user experience. We're aware of the issue, do you use a different selling tool for each account?

Michelle

Community Member

michelleoz@ebay.com wrote:

go-tazz wrote:

biggest benefit.

Hi Tazz,

Firstly, thanks for the heads up the reply wasn't working! 

You raise a good point here. You're right that there is no easy way to understand which listing promotion is given priority and it's not an ideal user experience. We're aware of the issue, do you use a different selling tool for each account?

Michelle

I use different browsers Firefox for this account and Google Chrome for the other account but apart from

that I just have standard accounts and use Selling Manager in both,(hence why it's strange that it works

differently for both accounts).

Community Member

A month now and STILL the $1.65 fee is being charged regardless of how many free listings are left

This ins NOT an isolated thing

it is not 'only a handful of members'

it is nothing to do with the device/browser/system or anything else the seller is using

Why is ebay refusing to fox this issue?

Please don't tell me they are working on it, depending on who whom speaks to at ebay, some people still get told there is 'no issue'

I don't believe it is being worked on or even actually if it will be fixed

Not good enough

Bad bear,like Bad Wolf,only better
eBay Employee

in reply to lm-entertainment

lm-entertainment wrote:

Dear ebay staff, 

Thanks for giving sellers the opportunity to be listened to and get some feedback.

I was wondering if you could please let us know if there’s any future plans to improve the technical aspects of the site? There’s constantly glitches and problems with the functioning of the website which are widespread and from people’s posts on the message boards, it’s clear they aren’t isolated incidents.

After all, ebay is a technology-based business. Sellers and buyers alike want things to work in order to have seamless experience.

Some of the problems being encountered are:

* Page Not Responding error - which I’m sure has been occurring for at least 8+ years now and still hasn’t been fixed.

* Promotions being offered, but then not being able to be used by the people they’re offered to, often having to seek credits after the fact. When using the offer, there is no guarantee at the time of using it whether the credit will be granted or not and so people are skeptical to use them.

* Inconsistency when it comes to people being able to use “Immediate Payment” on their listings for combined postage or even at all - and then most report now it is being forced on them, even if they don’t have “immediate payment” turned on.

These are just a few of the ongoing, countless technical issues people encounter daily.

Obviously, sellers pay fees and amongst other things, like the system being equally fair for sellers as they do for buyers. They just want things to work. No one cares so much about cosmetic changes which are happening all the time, they just want functionality.

If the people in the IT department aren’t able to fix these ongoing problems, maybe it is time to source people who can? What measures, if any, are ebay taking to fix these constant technical problems / glitches?

Thanks for your time.

Hi lm-entertainment,

Glad you could join us.

Some great feedback here thanks. Obviously, we'd love to have no technical glitches or issues, but the truth is it is a part of being online.

The recent promotion issues you mention related to an upgrade to the tool we use, which is not an excuse, but I want to provide you with as much information as I can. Obviously, we were made aware pretty quickly and the team has been working to resolve issues and prevent them from happening again.

With regard to immediate pay, we have introduced it to a number of listings across the site to reduce the number of unpaid items - ensuring sellers receive their payment rather than having to go through the unpaid item process. While I understand the concern about inconsistency, there is a learning curve for both buyers and sellers on eBay to get used to and understand immediate pay and it is a standard commerce practice both online and offline.

Michelle

eBay Employee

in reply to twyngwyn

twyngwyn wrote:

Hi....my buyers are currently unable to purchase multiple items and then request a combined invoice. They are paying separately and then I am refunding overpayment of postage?

Please advise a work-around as this is not only tedious but costing more in fees

Cheers

Hi twyngwyn,

I'm not sure how you're setting your postage discounts but a quick workaround might be to try and use Promotions Manager (available through Seller Hub) instead. 

You can use Promotions Manager to create a postage promotion that offers free or discounted postage if a minimum spend is reached or minimum quantity purchased.

Michelle

eBay Employee

in reply to gec2002

gec2002 wrote:

I recently received an email from eBay stating immediate Actionn Required. It went on to state.

"6 of your listings contain(s) contact information such as a phone number, email address or weblinks, which is in violation of listing policies. Non-compliant listings will soon be blocked."

None of the items contained contact information of any kind. Sellers have been banned for having contact information in their ads, so I take this type of error extremely seriously. However eBay seem intend on wrecking sellers businesses by relying on bots to determine such critical information, and it is clear that they are picking up the wrong links. In my case two suspect links were inserted by Turbo Lister and lacked target="_blank", another couple to a eBay affliate Auctiva and the last 2 I have no idea unless CSS links or links to images are now banned, but more likely just due very sloppy programming.  I repeat none of these listings had contact information.

And please don't tell me if you are banned speak to CS they will sort it out.  Well yes they might if they a) speak English (if your lucky) or b) have any idea what you are talking about (Highly unlikely). At best I might waste 4-5 hours of my time, at worse it will never get sorted. Its not Good Enough.

Hi gec2002

Thank you for your feedback on the notification you received highlighting uncompliant listings.  This notifcation identifies listings that contain weblinks as well as contact information.  The only weblinks that we allow in listings are product videos (reviews, product demonstration or installation), shipping services and other legally required information.  

Obviosuly we would like our notifcations to you to be as accurate as possible so if you would like to private message me your listings flagged we can investigate and come back to you. 

Regards

Heather 

Community Member

Are you saying that it is IMPOSSIBLE to now offer combined postage on BINs? Are auctions going to be immune from this?

Community Member

I don't have 'free' or discounted postage....just combined
eBay Employee

in reply to go-tazz

go-tazz wrote:

This is an on going concern that has being happening for years.

We have a few seed sellers that have come the boards and their complaint is why do eBay allow fake

seeds on this site,(it makes eBay a laughing stock and gardening forums advice not to buy seeds on

eBay as they are all fake because of those fake seeds).

Which impact genuine seed sellers.

There are fake Rainbow Rose seeds,(which are made using food colouring).

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2315708.m570.l1311.R1.TR3.TRC0.A0.H0.Xrainbow+...

There are also other Rainbow plant seeds listed,(which are fake as well).

Coloured Strawberries are “made” by photo shopping the colours in:

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l2632.R2.TR7.TRC2.A0.H1.Xstrawberrie...

The latest is dwarf Banana tree seeds,(most of these listings are fakes):

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=dwarf+ba...

The fakes now are:Rainbow,Green,Black,Blue Roses and other colours,Blue Strawberries and some

other colours,Monkey Orchids,Watermelon seeds in all their fake colours,baby Ginseng fruit,Different

coloured Tomatoes,other Rainbow coloured flowers,etc.

That's well over a thousand fake seed listings.

It's not just this site as other sites have the same problem so why does eBay allow these fakes and why don't

they remove them and restore the site to some credibility?

Hey Tazz,

This is quite a specific use case so I won't try to provide an answer to it here. If you want to send me a private message with some details I can ask the team to look into it.

What I can say is that we obviously don't want fakes being sold on the site and there is functionality to report items if you believe they aren't genuine.

Michelle

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to heather_oz

The only weblinks that we allow in listings are product videos (reviews, product demonstration or installation), shipping services and other legally required information.  

So are you saying we can no longer have links to jpg images and links to CSS stylesheets??

If that is the case you better start shutting down any descriptions with anything other than text.

Profanity is no substitute for wit.
Community Member

in reply to twyngwyn

My buyers buy a mixture of BIN & auction items....the problem is the postal weight