Tips for handmade item order anyone?

Morning all, having cruised the threads & unable to find an answer, hence my posting this, in hope sellers have some tips for customer order for large handmade item that takes a long time to make - eg. 1-2 months.

A friend said they don't start any order without payment in full, whilst I've also been told from someone else that asking for full payment & the buyer having to wait 1-2 months is unreasonable - though that may be for the duration of time I can spare to make the order due to outside committments. 

I have also read in the forums that buyers cancel orders before items are finished & I don't want to be outlaying a fair amount of $ for an item that could then take a long time to sell, so as to recoup the funds outlaid. Which brings me to another question of should I request deposit on the order & should I state no-refund deposit? I'm stuck for ideas. 

So if handmade sellers have any ideas, it would most definitely be very appreciated. Thanks in advance & I'll check back later, cheers. 🙂

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I don't hand make products but I think the idea of a non refundable deposit is very reasonable.

You could even work out the cost of materials used if a buyer was to cancel and make that the deposit.

It is common practice outside of the internet and should be even more so online.

Many people think they can click buy, then forget about it.

image host

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

I don't hand make products but I think the idea of a non refundable deposit is very reasonable.

You could even work out the cost of materials used if a buyer was to cancel and make that the deposit.

It is common practice outside of the internet and should be even more so online.

Many people think they can click buy, then forget about it.

image host
Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

Thanks kopenhagen5. That sorts the deposit side a bit clearer as I've no idea about larger items for orders. Smaller items are a breeze but when large items come into it, I'm lost. Makes perfect sense of the non-refundable deposit. Thanks again & have a good one, cheers. 🙂

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply