1923 Half Penny !!

Hello, I bought an album from an elderly gentleman as I just bought it for the coins as the album is falling apart. Anyway after getting home I discovered a 1923 half penny but it was in the 1933 half penny slot. Can anyone please look at the pictures I have taken and tell me if this is a replica or the real deal as I can't.. Thanks in advance for your help.coins 003.JPGcoins 004.JPG

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

1923 Half Penny !!

cq_tech
Community Member
After comparing it with photographs of the genuine article at http://www.thesandpit.net/index.php?option=1923_halfpenny I suspect it is probably a replica. I don't believe the date has been altered from a 1933 coin but on yours I can see no die crack from the base of the 2 which extends towards the base of the 9, which a genuine 1923 halfpenny should have, although to be fair your image is not as clear as I'd like it to be. Having said that, I would still have it evaluated by a professional numismatist to make absolutely certain either way.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

1923 Half Penny !!

Thank you for your advice.. Yeah the pic is not the best one but I will take it to a professional..Who knows..I may just be a lucky guy or not.. Appreciate your time and have a good day... Thank you

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

1923 Half Penny !!

Looks like the replica re made new half pennys that are getting made in china as I have some and yours look similar where the strike looks not as sharp and the 3 looks a bit out but I could be wrong. Find attatched a photo of mine

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

1923 Half Penny !!

Thanks alot for the information and the photo to size up my 1923 Half Penny.. I lined it up and I'm 60/40 % .. I think I will take it to a coin dealer and have them check it out.. Better to be safe than sorry.. Again Thanks for the advice and I have learned more about coin collecting.. ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

1923 Half Penny !!

cq_tech
Community Member
After comparing it with photographs of the genuine article at http://www.thesandpit.net/index.php?option=1923_halfpenny I suspect it is probably a replica. I don't believe the date has been altered from a 1933 coin but on yours I can see no die crack from the base of the 2 which extends towards the base of the 9, which a genuine 1923 halfpenny should have, although to be fair your image is not as clear as I'd like it to be. Having said that, I would still have it evaluated by a professional numismatist to make absolutely certain either way.
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

1923 Half Penny !!

Thank you for your advice.. Yeah the pic is not the best one but I will take it to a professional..Who knows..I may just be a lucky guy or not.. Appreciate your time and have a good day... Thank you

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

1923 Half Penny !!

Looks like the replica re made new half pennys that are getting made in china as I have some and yours look similar where the strike looks not as sharp and the 3 looks a bit out but I could be wrong. Find attatched a photo of mine

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

1923 Half Penny !!

Thanks alot for the information and the photo to size up my 1923 Half Penny.. I lined it up and I'm 60/40 % .. I think I will take it to a coin dealer and have them check it out.. Better to be safe than sorry.. Again Thanks for the advice and I have learned more about coin collecting.. ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply