Any experts about that could tell me if these are worth anything please.

These are my MIL's ornaments just wondering if they are worth anything there is a pair of these they don't have any stamps on the bottom at all.

Satsuma2.jpgSatsuma2.jpgSatsuma4.jpgSatsuma1.jpg

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

WaysideHarmony.jpgWaysideHarmonyB.jpg

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

This is Goebel Hummel Wayside Harmony Figurine

from this page

http://appletreedeals.com/mi-hummel-porcelain-figurines/mi-hummel-factory-marks-history/

you can find exactly when the mark on your figurine was used. If you search on eBay you will find that people seem to think the particular mark used has great bearing on the value of the piece. However if you search the sold items, you will find that the higher prices asked are very rarely achieved - average prices for this figurine seem to be say $15-$40. If the mark is TMK-5  (as it seems to be to me) it would be at the lower end of the price range. There certainly are plenty of them for sale (as opposed to sold.)

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Thank you,  I figured they were about $40.00 but it sure helps when you know where to look for the back stamps. I have a heap of other ornaments some with stamps which look japanese do you know where I can look to find out what they are. I can post pics here if you think you can help.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

SwirlVase.jpgSwirlVaseC.jpgSwirlVaseA.jpg

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

CHNVSE1.jpgCHNVSE1a.jpgKentVaseA.jpg

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

I am not the person to ask about Oriental - there is at least one knowledgeable / helpful person here and they may be by.

For things other than Oriental that have back stamps that you can read and google it is mainly a matter of looking for similar items and seeing what they sell for (not what people are asking).  You will find lots of James Kent items though maybe not specifically "Mille Fleurs" pattern. Still they fall into the same "chintz" category. Unusual shapes, cups and saucers are still selling but there is A LOT of it for sale out there. The trouble with selling old china and glass on eBay is of course postage cost (and the packing.) (And also the issue of "condition". ) Whether it is worth your while for what you may get back only you can decide. Collectables (like the Goebel piece) sell today for a fraction of what they did 20 years ago - young people today don't want "dust catchers" - they don't have china cabinets. We have been waiting for the next wave of young collectors for the last 15 years. You would not believe the quantity of "collector" items that come through the real life auction sales (like Goebel, Royal Doyulton, Royal Worcester, Wedgwood, Franklin Mint) as the older collectors are dying out or having to move on. You just hope that they have had a great deal of enjoyment out of their "stuff" because it certainly has not been a lucrative investment for their children (not that I think it necessarily needs to be.)

Oriental is a completely different ball game, both in collectability and value. But you really must know your onions and on-line is probably not the best place to start. If you get advice that it may potentially be valuable a real life auction house is probably the best bet. (don't know if there are any local to you but at the least there will be antique dealers.) Good luck deciding what to do MILs stuff. We gave advice to someone in a similar situation last week. They didn't have anything Oriental but did have middle level RD, china, glass - nothing really old, say 1930s 40s to 1980. We said : Make sure no-one else in the family wants anything. Sell the furniture on Gumtree (if you can be bothered.)  Pack up undamaged china and glass and take it to a real life auction house (if you can be bothered.) Otherwise give it to the local Op Shop (who will probably put it in the window with a price tag of $150 ๐Ÿ™‚ Anything plastic, kitchen stuff, damaged goes to the tip or clean up.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Yes we have pretty much done that. Most stuff as gone to liifeline and salvos. A lot of stuff thrown out. Some of the Parker furniture was picked up today and the rest probably tomorrow. My MIL thought these ornaments were worth a bit, unfotunately she has dementia and can't tell us much about them now. We don't have any auction houses near by so I've sent the pics off to an online auction house for an appraisal.

thank you for your advice.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Hiya HBH, nice to see a familiar name here. Smiley Happy

The little Japanese vase is either the name of maker or the place of manufacture.

The characters are as follows, Nine - Valley - Made in.

Or Ju Guo Zao.

It doesn't appear particularly old but it's lovely and if you do put it up for sale I would be interested in bidding/buying as it's just my type of colours. So let me know if you list it.

image host
Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Hiya Kopes thank you. I will certainly let you know if I list it. 

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply