Any thoughts on maker/origins of this cup and saucer duo would be welcome.

Would anybody have any thoughts on maker/origins of this cup and saucer duo please?

It is very delicate - both cup and saucer are fluted and it looks quite "old" to me.  I came by it in an assorted auction lot so I know nothing of it's history.

Would say it is made from a very fine china as it is light (cup 65gm and saucer 112gm) and quite translucent.  Cup height: 6.5cm.  Saucer diameter: 14.5cm

Problem is the only backmarks are an impressed [5] on the saucer and an a rather rough looking impressed cross or X on the cup - I'll attach a pic of the cup mark on next post.  (Which also leads me to ask how do people incorporate a couple of photos in the body of their post?  I'd love to be able to do that too!)

Thank you, Julie.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The first thing to determine is whether it is transfer printed or hand painted. To me it looks like transfer printing, possibly with some hand painted embellishments but this is very difficult to tell from a distance - you will be able to tell yourself. (use a strong magnifying glass). There are some good tips here

https://www.rubylane.com/blog/categories/antiques-art/fact-check-transfer-print-or-hand-painted/

To me is looks Victorian - say 1880-1900, probably Continental. Maker would be impossible to tell - it is possible that the crude X is one of the hundreds of attempts to mimic the famous Meissen "crossed swords" marks. The 5 (if that is what it is) could be the mould number, or refer to size. As a single cup and saucer from an undistinguished maker with some condition issues (for example the gold rim looks very rubbed) I do not think it has any great commercial value. Single antique cups and saucers these days need to be by a renowned maker with lovely decoration and in excellent condition to sell well and even then they are making a fraction of what they bought 20-30 years ago. The collecting base for such items has all but disappeared. But that is simply my opinion - others may feel differently.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Back mark on cup.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Sorry, can't help with the cup/saucer...      ^^^           but to include a photo, go to 'insert/edit image on the toolbar above

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Thank you twyngwyn - I feel empowered!

Pic of saucer backmark as proof of lesson learned.

IMG_9460.JPG

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

The first thing to determine is whether it is transfer printed or hand painted. To me it looks like transfer printing, possibly with some hand painted embellishments but this is very difficult to tell from a distance - you will be able to tell yourself. (use a strong magnifying glass). There are some good tips here

https://www.rubylane.com/blog/categories/antiques-art/fact-check-transfer-print-or-hand-painted/

To me is looks Victorian - say 1880-1900, probably Continental. Maker would be impossible to tell - it is possible that the crude X is one of the hundreds of attempts to mimic the famous Meissen "crossed swords" marks. The 5 (if that is what it is) could be the mould number, or refer to size. As a single cup and saucer from an undistinguished maker with some condition issues (for example the gold rim looks very rubbed) I do not think it has any great commercial value. Single antique cups and saucers these days need to be by a renowned maker with lovely decoration and in excellent condition to sell well and even then they are making a fraction of what they bought 20-30 years ago. The collecting base for such items has all but disappeared. But that is simply my opinion - others may feel differently.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Thank you siddieswans - very much appreciate your informative thoughts. 

Have had the magnifying glass out and, while there are some definate hand painted elements, suspect the main design is transfer printing as you suggest.

Thanks once again for all the thoughts and information.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply