Can someone PLEASE identify this piece?

This came in a box with Australian pottery/ceramic pieces. I think the mark is familiar but I can't remember where from. The shape is too. I have had this for a while and have only just found my way to this forum.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The design is what is commonly called a double sided face jug. The most famous of these is by Martin Brothers - this is vaguely in that style (without the detail or quality.)

The treacly glaze is reminiscent of the majolica glazes used by many Australian potteries pre WW2 - Campbell, McHugh, the Brunswick & Bendigo potteries - the list goes on.

The incised monogram suggests a small individual potter - I read it as EB or BE  or maybe its a C or F with a B. These combinations do not appear in any of the reference books I have. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Sorry. Picure of mug attached. Its 2 faced, both very different faces.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

The design is what is commonly called a double sided face jug. The most famous of these is by Martin Brothers - this is vaguely in that style (without the detail or quality.)

The treacly glaze is reminiscent of the majolica glazes used by many Australian potteries pre WW2 - Campbell, McHugh, the Brunswick & Bendigo potteries - the list goes on.

The incised monogram suggests a small individual potter - I read it as EB or BE  or maybe its a C or F with a B. These combinations do not appear in any of the reference books I have. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Thank you for your reply. I did get the idea that it was Australian but not as old as you suggest.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply