Can someone identify this porcelain makers mark

Can anone please identify this porcelain makers mark?

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Thanks much better.

Apparently the mark is HBL;  if you Google you can find several similar examples that have sold

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/victorian-pair-hand-painted-bohemian-281941264

says VICTORIAN PAIR of HAND-PAINTED 'VIOLET' BALUSTER VASES c.1890's ; Marks for HBL,a USA based importer of German/Bohemian wares of the period.

It would seem that these wares pre-dated the McKinley Tariff Act which took effect in  1891 which required country of origin to be marked. I have no idea about HBL; German / Bohemian seems logical, so late 1880's very early 1890's.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Thank you siddieswans for your. time and research which is much appreciated. Yes my vase is very similar to the ones in the link.Many thanks, Regards, Patricia

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

can you take a clearer photo? What is that - bottom left?

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Thank you. Bottom left mark is just a dark blob, it is under the glaze so must have been there originally.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

I really can't see this clearly. Top left =???? Top right = B? 8? Bottom right = L.

It the mark printed? Impressed? If you showed the item it may help.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Photo of item.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Photo of mark which is stamped and under the glaze.The dark blob is in the lower bottom left hand.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Thanks much better.

Apparently the mark is HBL;  if you Google you can find several similar examples that have sold

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/victorian-pair-hand-painted-bohemian-281941264

says VICTORIAN PAIR of HAND-PAINTED 'VIOLET' BALUSTER VASES c.1890's ; Marks for HBL,a USA based importer of German/Bohemian wares of the period.

It would seem that these wares pre-dated the McKinley Tariff Act which took effect in  1891 which required country of origin to be marked. I have no idea about HBL; German / Bohemian seems logical, so late 1880's very early 1890's.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Thank you siddieswans for your. time and research which is much appreciated. Yes my vase is very similar to the ones in the link.Many thanks, Regards, Patricia

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Hello. I have a similar style vase with the same markings.  The Blob on the bottom left is a crown. Not sure if you have any more info about the markings but I am about to explore the net to see what I can find.  The vase belonged (i beleive) to my Great, Great Grandmother who lived 1856 to 1904.  She was of English heritage. 

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

And the Vase

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply