Doll Smock ID

Hi anyone out there I would like to find out the identity of the doll that wore a smock (dress)  that i have had saved in storege some years.

It is while and has 'mock' patch pockets of red ric rac, and ric rac around the bodice also.

Its fastened at the back with a metal press stud.

many thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Doll Smock ID

it will eventually drop off by itself

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Doll Smock ID

Would it fit a CPK? You could buy patterns to make doll clothes for them. Genuine CPK clothes from the 1980's  came with the doll or could be bought seperately&  would have inner or outer tags; but the Butterick patterns had small iron ons that could be used. (until you ran out of them! ) - about 8 logos to a pattern outer from memory.

Somewhere here I have an old pattern for a dress like your pic, but it also came with bloomers. I'd think yours to be from that same pattern - minus the matching bloomers. I'll have a rummage & see if I can find the pattern # - but I'm pretty sure it was Butterick who did the CPK clothes. You could make matching girl's dresses too!

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Doll Smock ID

Thanks, redders_60

it is a commercially made frock, it has a commercial style press stud, not the type sewn on.

I know it was a 1970's doll it came from, I kept the smock  hoping i would get a better doll to put it on, as the original was too far gone. (but unfortunately i forgot the brand or style of doll it came from.   😉  

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Doll Smock ID

I was using hammer on press studs back in the late 1970's. But then my Dad was in the fashion industry -  So I'm not sure if they were available then to the home sewer! Stretch fabrics were available in the industry long before they became available to the general public. Dad is 86 & asleep, so I can't ask.

I'm sorry; I just feel I know this dress or similar which I made in pink gingham with the matching bloomers.

Was the doll you had hard plastic or a soft body type? I know your dress is not for a My Child. Maybe for a small Wendy Boston or English maker? Tiny Tears? I'm trying to think of doll names right now. The style appears to be from the late 1970's to very early 1980's. Try searching Ideal Toy Co if you are sure your doll was Aussie made.

Chrissy was a late 1970's big teen "growing hair" doll who came boxed wearing an orange mini dress & shoes. The dress you have would not fit her or her sister doll Velvet.

The dress may fit an Ideal Giggles doll; though if so was not the dress she wore in her original box. She came with a hot pink & orange striped shirt/ shorts combo  with black shoes. (I still have mine in original box)

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Doll Smock ID

Doll Smock ID

twyngwyn you are a legend, thank you so much!, such a great response and I remember her now!! 

I thought it maybe a Mattel, but didn't want to seem stupid.

And thank you to the other responses again too redder_60

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Doll Smock ID

Thank you so much for all your input.

I am a dressmaker and the studs are def from industry.

I have found the solution now thank you, it is 'Walking baby Loves You'.

brings back memories!!

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Doll Smock ID

Thanks again for such a fast solution. 

Do I cancel this question/notice now.

I haven't used before, so i don't know procedure.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Doll Smock ID

it will eventually drop off by itself

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply