Early Australian Pottery? Help Needed Please

I am hoping someone recognises either the style, or the pottery on this vase, I picked it up on a whim because it is a striking piece and it does look like Oz Pottery, but I do not know for sure. It is huge - 45 cms tall, 19 cms diameter, the all over pattern is sharply incised, which is unusual, and the signature is incised as well - "Kirry Art Pottery" and "TB"

I will post another couple of pics in the next post as well.

Many thanks in advance

cheers

Rae

For some reason the photos are not showing up in the post :-(, click on the attachments link at the top of the post please to see them.

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Two more close ups of the incised pattern on the above vase

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

Hello Rae,

It says Kitty Art Pottery and Kitty was Kitty Breedon. So TB would most likely be another Breedon.

I don't have my book handy it could be Breeden ?

Cheers,

Pip

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

I was hoping you might see the post and know something Pip :-). Can you tell me anything about the pottery? dates, where it was etc? Is it collectable?

cheers

Rae

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

Hi Rae,

Just happened to have Ford right in front of me.

Kitty Breeden set up Kitty Art Pottery in 1954 with the help of her father,Jacob.  In 1963 she set up "Kitty Art Pottery School of Ceramics.The school and pottery closed in 1987.

Kitty was dutch and arrived in Australia in 1952

They made slip cast and 'wheel thrown pieceswith incised decoration in bright and pastel colours'

the last bit just about sums up your lovely pot.

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

doh! why did I not think to look in Ford? there is quite a bit on Google as well, though I haven't found one like this yet.

Thanks OWL and Pip

cheers

Rae

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

It is a shame it has the damage, but it was really cheap, so I can live with that turned to the wall lol!

cheers

Rae

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

Its an interesting piece Rae,bugger the damage but as you say it will still show lovely.

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

Turn it around and no one will ever know.  :-x

~ Mon ~
Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

Do you think it was whell-thrown or slipcast, Leonie> I would have thought it would have to be wheel-thrown to get that type of decoration on it. Kitty must have had long arms :^O

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply