HELP TO IDENTIFY MYSTERY SET OF ORIENTAL PLAQUES. BOXED SET OF 5 IN ORIGINAL BOX

5 GOLD PAINTED TIMBER PLAQUES IN MINT CONDITION THE ORIGINAL BOX SHOWS AGE RELATED WEAR.WRITING ON BACKS IN ORIENTAL IN GOLD. AND NUMERALS ON ONE SIDE. CAN ANYONE HELP EXPLAIN THE MEANING OF THEM AND AN IDEA OF THE VALUE. UNFORTUNATELY EBAY ONLY ALLOWING ME TO LOAD ONE PHOTO.ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

HELP TO IDENTIFY MYSTERY SET OF ORIENTAL PLAQUES. BOXED SET OF 5 IN ORIGINAL BOX

I shall see if my Chinese friend can shed some light on these and come back later this evening.

image host
Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Ok, he seems to think they are boxes that can be opened and have ink blocks inside for Chinese caligraphy.

Water is placed on the block and a small tool is used to grind into a paste as ink.

If they are not boxes then probably just small murals depicting certain aspects of Chinese history in the form of old ink blocks.

The writing tells of Chinese history.

Not particularly old and are often used in showing appreciation as gifts.

image host
Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

many thanks for the information and helping to solve the mystery

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply