Harvey School Pottery identification please

Hello eBay community! I am hoping someone might know if this is a Harvey School exercise piece. It has glaze instrctions on the base and I can make out the words 'green' and 'brown'. There is also what looks to be a signature but I can't make it out. Any help would be very much appreciated. Kind Regards, Sam

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

The decoration looks somewhat like the kind of patterns shown in the early exercise pieces in the book L J Harvey & his School. It explains that a pattern was applied by drawing through a paper pattern supplied by Harvey, the background being carved out with wire modelling tools. That looks consistent with your piece. However most agree that true Harvey school pottery had an incised Q, QLD or Q'LAND. Usually with an incised date and name / monogram. Any chance of that on your piece? I also have several pieces I would like to be Harvey School, but they are probably just other Technical College / pottery class pieces at the time, done in the same Arts and Crafts style. The man who contributed most to the Harvey school book - Glenn R Cooke - said back in 2015

"I am starting to gather my research together to hold another exhibition of the pottery of LJ Harvey and his many students and associates at the College of Art, Brisbane in 2018. There will be a substantial publication listing details on (some students) but there are still scads of potters of whom I have not been able to trace details."

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Hi Sam,

Here is a very similar piece (attached) which is marked 'I Ross'. Could it be the same maker? If not could you include an image of the mark.' 

Lots of research still being done

Thanks

Glenn Cooke

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

The Harvey School Pottery I have is hand formed/made, not a slip cast piece like the last 2 posted photos. Both these vases(whatyever) were produced in a mould. The glazeing is bad(todays standards), it is grazed. For a glaze to craze(crack) the clay body has to absorbe moisture, this makes the body swell and the glaze crack,

WHY - the glaze is actually compressed onto the clay body during firing, ALL glazes.Stoneware and Earthenware are the same

Typically Earthenware does not go over about 1100Deg C. The clay will absorbe moisture, the glaze will glaze will craze(crack).

WHY - the clay expands with moisture absorbtion, the glaze then cracks(crazing)

Stoneware has an absorbation rate(moisture) of around 1 to 1.5%, firing to around 1240-1269 Deg C.

I can go on and on about this, I worked as a Ceramic technician at TAFE and was a professional potter for a many years.

Happy to answer any questions.

Sam

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

I never did get to thank you Glenn! I was trying to do some research on the twin handled vase and saw that you had so kindly replied to my request all those many months ago! I'm still very much a novice, but I truly appreciate you coming back on this lamp base. 

Thank you again,

Sam Olditch

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply