Old New South Wales Cap is it police? Is it postman?

An interesting cap. I was told it was an old postman's cap but the silver medallions on either side read New South Wales Police (and the AMF is obviously a ring in too). Inside is red, and the maker's label says KeepShape Headwear Made in Sydney with the coat of arms 

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

another photo

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

I would have said postie's cap or railway.

Could also be armed forces.

Perhaps contact the maker, they are still around making caps for pilots, army and various.

Get their email and I am sure someone would be interested to see your pics and might shed some light on it.

https://www.aussieweb.com.au/business/keepshape+headwear/1570293

image host
Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Excellent! Thank you. I will ring them Monday and post up the result

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

I'd like to know how old it is because the kangaroo and emu are both facing the wrong way?

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I think it might be Corrective Services.  They used the same buttons/badges as the Police but their uniform was a lighter blue.

The cap looks badly faded but it looks to me as though it may have originally been closer to Air Force Blue than Navy.

What badge is on the front of the cap?

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

The number for Keep Shape Headwear on numerous internet sites is not working, you get the Telstra 'number is disconnected' message

The hat is army green, it would never have been blue. 

The visor is dark brown.

The leather strap is dark brown. 

The lining is red plastic like material. 

The silver metal 'buttons' one on each side read " New South Wales" around the edge, and inside is a crown emblem with "police" under the crown. These are part of the hat.

The gold coloured badge on the front, Australian Military Forces, is obviously a later addition as it can easily be removed (perhaps used sometime for a fancy dress party)

I will try and see if I can find a NSW Police historical society site

Quite an interesting hat

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

The photo is certainly deceptive....no way does it look green on my monitor.

If the buttons are from a Police or Corrective Services uniform and the badge is from the AMF it would indicate it is not genuine.  You can't have a Federal Govt badge and State Govt buttons on the same uniform.

The only green uniforms in NSW I am aware of are Army and they would not have NSW Police buttons. 

Looking at the condition of the cap it does not fit with the "new" look of the buttons.

If you were told it was a postman's cap you could try the AP history section.  It used to be called Post Master General's department.

I wish you luck tracking this one down....I will be very interested in the results.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply