Teapot help please

Hello,

I have a teapot that looks exactly like a Robur but with a different infuer. It has no markings so I think it is a reproduction. It is not new and is silver plate.

I just need to know how old it is. It is extremely well made and obviously not a cheap teapot.

Would anyone know where it could have been purchased from ? Or how old it would be?

Thank you

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Teapot help please

The important (and patented) bit about the Robur "Perfect" teapot was not the exterior shape but the unique design of the infuser, with its handle, and to some extent the strainer on the spout. This is explained in some detail in the Robur leaflet I am attaching. So far as I am aware there was nothing unusual about the shape of the classic silver plate teapot - they were manufactured by the Challenge silver plate company (which Robur owned) and were Art Deco in style (in tune with the 1927 patent date.) Robur themselves made teapots of slightly different designs, with different spouts, lid knobs and of course the (now rare) ceramic version. The important differences were internal. When the Perfect became so popular, many companies produced similar-looking teapots but of course without the infuser, they were not "Perfect". Your tea pot could have been made any time from the 1930's to 1950's even later; Robur Perfect was still being manufactured (and sold) in recent times - not sure if they still are. My husband is one of those who believe that they DEFINITELY make the best cup of tea, and we have several sizes, and a sugar, milk, hot water set. You used to be able of pick Perfects up quite cheaply 10 years ago; now everyone thinks they are very valuable; and with so many being offered it is difficult now to sell a common size unless it is in good condition inside and out - many sellers have them professionally cleaned, even replated. The unusual sizes still sell well to collectors, and the related ephemera - caddy spoons, tea tins, teapot stands - sell well. 

Robur.jpg

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Teapot help please

The important (and patented) bit about the Robur "Perfect" teapot was not the exterior shape but the unique design of the infuser, with its handle, and to some extent the strainer on the spout. This is explained in some detail in the Robur leaflet I am attaching. So far as I am aware there was nothing unusual about the shape of the classic silver plate teapot - they were manufactured by the Challenge silver plate company (which Robur owned) and were Art Deco in style (in tune with the 1927 patent date.) Robur themselves made teapots of slightly different designs, with different spouts, lid knobs and of course the (now rare) ceramic version. The important differences were internal. When the Perfect became so popular, many companies produced similar-looking teapots but of course without the infuser, they were not "Perfect". Your tea pot could have been made any time from the 1930's to 1950's even later; Robur Perfect was still being manufactured (and sold) in recent times - not sure if they still are. My husband is one of those who believe that they DEFINITELY make the best cup of tea, and we have several sizes, and a sugar, milk, hot water set. You used to be able of pick Perfects up quite cheaply 10 years ago; now everyone thinks they are very valuable; and with so many being offered it is difficult now to sell a common size unless it is in good condition inside and out - many sellers have them professionally cleaned, even replated. The unusual sizes still sell well to collectors, and the related ephemera - caddy spoons, tea tins, teapot stands - sell well. 

Robur.jpg

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Teapot help please

Thank you so much Siddieswans for your help. I love all things tea related so I find this fascinating.

So I guess it woud be almost impossible to trace my teapot.

I would love to keep it and add it to my collection but sadly I do need to sell it. Could you possibly give me an idea of a price to put on it? I know it's asking a lot but I just have no idea where to start.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Teapot help please

Hmmm, tricky.  First I would try and get it as clean as possible. Most people seem to want to USE their silver plate tea pots these days, so if it looks clean and inviting, you are half way there. Use any silver plate cleaner on the outside; for the inside there are a couple of tips here (it is for stainless steel but will work for silver plate.

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-clean-the-inside-of-a-stainless-steel-teapot/

Next what size is it? Robur (and I assume those who copied them) seemed to come in 4 standard sizes:

8 cup size-  26.5 cms long from spout tip to handle end; 13.5 cms tall to top of lid knob;

6 cup size – approx 25 cms from spout to handle, 13 cms tall.

4 cup - 23cms long 15cms wide and 12cms high

2 cup bachelor 20 cms 9 cms tall

6 and 4 cup are most common; I assume yours is one of these. Be careful how you list it; I would say something like TITLE: Art Deco silver plate teapot Robur Style 4 cup (or whatever) Infuser Good condition.

Be sure you say in the description that it is NOT Robur, but in the same style, with a different infuser etc. (Just remember you can't say "Not Robur" in the title but Robur Style should be OK.) "Get the Robur look without the Robur price" or something. Smiley Very Happy Price is very tricky; I really don't think that people want old single silver plate teapots; they seem to want Robur, or if not Robur then complete tea sets. So go to Sold Items and look for Robur and see how much they make - obviously yours will be worth a fair bit less. The Sold Roburs seem to be almost evenly split between listed in Antiques - Silver Plate and Collectables / Kitchenware / Tea Pots. When I was selling them I listed in the latter but it is a toss up. Most people search by Robur not by category; as it's NOT Robur, teapots might be best. If you REALLY want a guesstimate I would say start $35 ($45 if it comes up very nice and clean) but that is only a wild guess. Anyway, good luck.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Teapot help please

Oh you are wonderful. Thank you so much.

I've been polishing it with Brite Shine. Not to well I'm afraid as I have arthritis in my hands. Lol

I've also got a tea set that looks like Leonard with a pedestal base. But it's not marked either. Do you know anything about these? I'll post  a pic but I'll ask in the forums to.

I'm thinking to list this Robur look alike at $35.00 like you said.  Oh yes, it is a 6 cup. 'Robur style' is a great way to explain it.

I really apreciate you taking the time to help me. I love to learn about the history of these items. I have been searching for days to no avail so thank you again.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

Teapot help please

I would agree it looks like Leonard - are you sure it is not stamped on the underneath of the bowls - sometimes the stampings can be very faint. Value - well, again if you look at SOLD items, they can make as much as $60 WITH the tray, but as little as $25 without. I believe these date 1960's 1970's - it may still be being made - there is some information here

http://www.silvercollection.it/AMERICANSILVERPLATEMARKSL.html

Silver plate is interesting - 15 years ago you could not give it away, then when the price of silver went high (along with gold), it began to be popular again. Silver is down again but it would seem that with the popularity of afternoon teas and suchlike, people are again starting to buy silver plate sets like serving pieces and spoons, but it is still very difficult (I find) to sell things like your set and entree dishes, trays and serving dishes, unless they are very unusual and / or in pristine condition. (The high postage cost because of their weight does not help.) People don't like to have to polish things. Of course, if items are very old or valuable or fragile, I would never polish them for sale, but for everyday items, the shinier the better it seems. (And except for vintage jewellery. But that's just my opinion.)

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Teapot help please

Siddieswans I'm so grateful to you.

I just sold the tea pot for $35.00

You helped me so much and even gave me some new ideas to help me with my research.

Thank you

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Teapot help please

I realise that I am addressing an older post here, wondering if you can still help?

My "Perfect Teapot" by Ropur Tea Co. Ltd appears to have the usual stamping however they start with the marking "SIL 1" -  what does this mean? And any changes in today's value. I am in the UK.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Teapot help please

I’m still here Smiley Happy

SIL AI is part of the standard back stamps  that are found on Robur branded (as opposed to Challenge branded) teapots – there were many different back stamps as the company acquired Patents in various countries at various dates. They are all EPNS – electro-plated nickel silver – some have “warranted hard silver soldered” as part of the back stamp. The various back stamps make no difference to the value.

What that value is still varies greatly (see sold prices). See my post above about the various sizes. The thought that the more unusual sizes – largest and smallest -  bring the highest prices is probably still true but possibly only as far as dedicated Robur collectors are concerned. Anyone who wants to use one (like my husband) probably wants a 4 or 6 pot size, the infuser in good condition is a must, and interior also in useable condition. There are so many around that really the outside should be quite bright and shiny and free from dents. They do not bring the astronomical prices they realised 10? years ago and I can still remember when they were being sold new by Department stores (apparently they were manufactured until 2002.) I doubt that it is still worthwhile to have them re-plated for resale. Have a look at “SOLD” prices in your own country – I have no idea whether they are / were more popular there, than they were / are here in Oz where they originated. We still have our “Robur” collection, though it is only used on high days and holidays (I don’t drink tea); my husband lovingly polishes it once a year. Good luck and stay safe.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Teapot help please

Robur teapots 

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply