can anyone identify this medal ?

hi, can anyone tell me something about this medal. i know its silver content is top of the range, coin dealer cant tell me what it is, i need help.  dated 1978 under left eagle foot and 1000 under other,     regard mick

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

It's technically a "replica coin", not a medal. The original coin was issued during the time of Holy Roman Emperor Charles V (1519-1556), but I can't tell for which state without seeing the other side. The Vienna Mint has frequently issued replicas of old coins like this, for collectors. These replicas are usually stamped as yours is, with the date of issue (though sometimes thi scan be hard to see. Here's a German States thaler with a similar design.

As far as I can tell, the "1000" stamp means "pure silver", in other words, .999 fine or better.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

A double headed eagle was used by Austria in early currency.

Don't know if this link helps - http://www.beastcoins.com/World/Austria/Austria.htm

image host
Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

It's technically a "replica coin", not a medal. The original coin was issued during the time of Holy Roman Emperor Charles V (1519-1556), but I can't tell for which state without seeing the other side. The Vienna Mint has frequently issued replicas of old coins like this, for collectors. These replicas are usually stamped as yours is, with the date of issue (though sometimes thi scan be hard to see. Here's a German States thaler with a similar design.

As far as I can tell, the "1000" stamp means "pure silver", in other words, .999 fine or better.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

hi, thank you for your information, i think you are right on the mark, there are churches and crosses on the other side, i will upload the other side, my computer would only let me upload one side .  ,is it worth any thing?

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply