commonwealth SBA tin ....numbered

I have CSBA money box tin...the source was from a lady who kept everything and is now in her mid 80s.

I've googled and not sure what does the no. mean on the top.... this one says 21 so I;m guessing it must be an early one?  its the tin with green and gold building replica

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@onekiwi0 wrote:

not a great photo of the top of the box due to the flash but you can make out the details... thanks!

Yes that looks the same as the completed one I found - Commonwealth-Bank-Money-Box-tin-VINTAGE-OLDEST-version- ; eBay completed item 301540442433 - except that number is 41

The only thing I can think of is that maybe 21 was the branch number that the money bank had been issued from?

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Could it be you were meant to save and then open it when you turn 21?

image host
Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

This is the only image I could find which has a number - in this case it is 41

Commonwealth-Bank-Money-Box-tin-VINTAGE-OLDEST-version- ; eBay completed item 301540442433

One thing it can't mean is 1921, as apparently the money box was first produced in 1922.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/a-telling-tale-of-two-tin-moneyboxes-20120925-26jfg.html

Why don't you ask at you local bank branch - the CBA would certainly have an Archive section.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

can you attach a photo of the top of the moneybox?
Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

@twyngwyn wrote:
I can't see a number on this one

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/111273630665?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=...

this one is the 1980s replicas, re-issued by the bank

early ones did not have a plug in the bottom, you needed to take them to the bank

to get them opened and then you had to deposit those coins into your savings a/c

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

not a great photo of the top of the box due to the flash but you can make out the details... thanks!

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

@onekiwi0 wrote:

Yes that looks the same as the completed one I found - Commonwealth-Bank-Money-Box-tin-VINTAGE-OLDEST-version- ; eBay completed item 301540442433 - except that number is 41

The only thing I can think of is that maybe 21 was the branch number that the money bank had been issued from?

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

thank you siddies.  did you do on a search on completed listings to find this info.  I wasn't too succesful thru google or current listings. 

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

@onekiwi0 wrote:

thank you siddies.  did you do on a search on completed listings to find this info.  I wasn't too succesful thru google or current listings. 

Glad to be of help. My usual method is to is to use Google images - and scroll through the search results until I find something that looks promising. Often that will lead you back to eBay, but it is easier (to me anyway) to use images to find something similar - also with Google you are able to use many more keywords (which of course you can't use in eBay completed items.)

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply