have a sterling silver pill box, would like to know what each symbol means of the hallmark.

Hi all, this is pic of hallmark on the base of a pill box I've had for around 30 years. Only now do I wonder what it all means! All I can find is it's 925 graded, english? Where could I find the answers I seek?

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

have a sterling silver pill box, would like to know what each symbol means of the hallmark.

Query answered! I learnt something today from you - thanks. Looked up his profile, interesting life story. Here's a pic of the cute little box which I may sell. It's always been tarnished, hesitant to clean it as it just won't be the same! Sadly, it just sits in my jewellery box alongside other neglected items - where eBay is a help. Thanks again.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Looks like,

Makers mark - standard sterling(England) - Date mark (1950's and usually has a number inside indicating which year) - Or if the next is a U then that is 1954 - Last two are 925 silver (92.5% silver)

image host
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Maker's mark

Ari D Norman

http://www.925-1000.com/dlLondon.html#M

hallmarks are for sterling silver London 1988

https://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/Dates/London/Cycle%201975-1999.html

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

I stand corrected. I was going by this - 

m_gorhamDATE.JPG

image host
Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Query answered! I learnt something today from you - thanks. Looked up his profile, interesting life story. Here's a pic of the cute little box which I may sell. It's always been tarnished, hesitant to clean it as it just won't be the same! Sadly, it just sits in my jewellery box alongside other neglected items - where eBay is a help. Thanks again.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

If you are thinking of selling it, I wouldn't clean it - what some people call "tarnish" others call "patination." I generally belong in the latter camp. I would never clean "tarnished" vintage jewellery before selling; vintage silver plate cutlery I generally clean - antique silver items generally not, unless they are so badly tarnished that decoration is obscured; if necessary cleaning  maker's marks and hallmarks is generally a good idea. Many collectors would be horrified to think of cleaning oxidised vintage Georg Jensen jewellery for example - the whole idea is that it doesn't look "new". If people want to clean it AFTER they have bought it, that's their prerogative.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Glad to hear! Nice someone else is on the same page.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply