storage of glass and ceramics

I want to store my ceramics, pottery, and glass in my outdoor storage. Can the cold weather damage them?

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I presume you are talking about an enclosed watertight storage shed? and not an open space like a verandah? Will the inside temperature drop below freezing? I can't really see cold being a problem; damp is more often the problem for stored items. So don't store cardboard boxes (for example) directly onto grass, concrete or metal flooring which may become damp through condensation. We sit cardboard boxes on two wooden runners allowing air flow. Don't use newspaper for packing - you can buy butcher's paper from storage places. Use bubble wrap for fragile glass. Having packed and unpacked breakable many times, we find unpacking creates the biggest potential problem; try to wrap pieces individually, and try to resist tucking small items inside other pieces (unless you are sure you can remember during the unpacking stage. )

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Hi welcome to the Australian boards.

I don't know if it was your intention to post on the Aussie site but if you are up North in USA temperature may be a factor.

I'm no expert in this field but I would probably call a local pottery outlet or tile manufacturer and ask if extreme low temps can affect pottery or ceramics.

image host
Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

I have a storage place next to my apt. I live in Indiana. It does get below freezing. I want to store some vases in there until they sell. You are right. I did not think of the boxes getting damp which they probably will. But my question is: will cold cause damage to the vases. they are just cheap glass vases. Now if I can remember not to pick them up from the box, and instead just take the vases out and use another box i may be good. other than that will cold cause them to shatter or cause some other defect on them? thanks for your help.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

i did not realize I was not on US ebay board. Somehow I keep getting on it by accident. It gets very cold in Indiana.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

I can't see a problem with ordinary glass vases, though to be honest I have never stored them in below freezing conditions. I would just try NOT to store one inside the other in case they contract / expand unevenly due to temperature variation. And watch the moisture level / relative humidity - perhaps use some of those moisture absorbing crystals. And don't use newspaper. Good luck.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

My husband's relatives live in Seattle WA and Canada.   They regularly transport Blue Mountains pottery and have reported crazing and cracking on occasions when the temperatures plummet.

I have no idea how they pack things but they are experienced travellers and have done this for years so I imagine thay have tried many options.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply