vintage baby alive - what do the numbers mean

reyjr1952
Community Member

It was suggested to try the collectables as I have 2 baby alive dolls from the late 1970's early 1980's that don't take batteries to work the mouth, they have a lever on their back and they have a number embossed on the back of the neck can someone please advise me what this means before I place them on ebay.

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

go-tazz
Community Member

This is some info from the web.

1970s-1980s

The first Baby Alive doll was introduced by Kenner in 1973. It could be fed food packets mixed with water, and came with a bottle,diapers and feeding spoon.

The spoon would be inserted into its mouth, and a lever on its back pushed to have it chew the food.

The food would move through her and end up in her diaper; this version did not speak, so you had to check the diaper a few moments after feeding. It also produced droppings and threw up regularly.

The numbers could be either model numbers or copyright numbers?

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Sorry, i dont know much about dolls BUT 1980s?? Shouldnt they best be described as just Second Hand, vintage I would assume for a doll would be at least 60-70 years old.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

No that is incorrect. The first model took 2 x C cell batteries and she had a sensor on her bottom lip that triggered the motorised mouth to start moving. What you've stated is copied from Wikipedia, and it's not correct, but I don't have enough indepth detail to change the entry. My info is from owning one of the first models in the '70's. The newer model after mine in the early '80's had the lever action. I think they had problems with kids getting the battery model wet, and she died working. I know cause I bathed mine, lucky my dad was able to fix her and she still works to this day!
Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

i still have my daughters doll she is 41 now. lever action also all in working order. im going to check her numbers.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply