Updates coming to eBay.com.au Discussion Boards

Over the next few weeks, we’ll be introducing a number of changes to the eBay.com.au Discussion Boards.

What are the changes?

We’re introducing new ‘Rules of Engagement’ similar to the  eBay.com Community. You can review the new Rules of Engagement below.

We’ll also be making some changes to the current structure, aimed at simplifying the experience and ensuring the Discussion Boards are dedicated to eBay related discussion. These structural changes mean that the Community Spirit and Fun & Games Boards will move to Groups. Having said that, it’s important to understand that both Community Spirit and Fun & Games will still be Discussion Boards with the exact same functionality as exists right now.

Eventually, we’ll look at a ‘makeover’ of the platform which includes a responsive design for a better mobile experience, again similar to eBay.com.

The new structure is outlined in detail below.

Why?

We have an active group of users already using our discussion boards for engagement, education, insights, knowledge and friendship. We also have new users every day seeking guidance, clarity or help from experienced users and/or eBay.

By simplifying the structure and ensuring conversations are dedicated only to eBay related topics we hope to encourage more eBay members to visit and engage in conversation on the Discussion Boards. We’re also looking forward to using the Discussion Boards to better engage with hear from, educate and inform customers.

We’ve seen great results in the both the US and UK on the back of structural and/or engagement changes they’ve made so we’re taking those insights and introducing similar changes here.

Please feel free to ask questions and share your thoughts about these changes in this thread. I won't be posting every day but I will check back a few times a week.

Regards 

Michelle

Message 1 of 89
Latest reply
88 REPLIES 88

Oh do be careful Padi - they may decide to charge us fees + GST for each & every post.

Robot Frustrated

Message 11 of 89
Latest reply

Will my reply go to the op or who i want to reply to without having to go to full site (classic) if this change is implemented?
*we may be human, but we are still animals*
Message 12 of 89
Latest reply

If that is the only thing you can find to query bake then you have not read Michelle's messages very thoroughly.Smiley Sad

Message 13 of 89
Latest reply

Lyndal - perhaps it is a good idea to ask one simple question at a time - rather than a whole heap they will be pushed to answer.

Message 14 of 89
Latest reply

Two thumbs down for the proposed makeover - please leave as is.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 15 of 89
Latest reply

I rather think they will not answer any questions....it is a done deal for now.  The current changes will be coming in from as early as next week.

Our only hope is to keep on at ebay not to make the changes that they have proposed for the future.

At the moment we are not getting the .com format, but we will if we don't make representations to ebay.

Message 16 of 89
Latest reply

Lyndal, i did read messages, and within the first few sentances it says that changes are coming into effect (im not quoteing word for word there, but you get the drift)
So i can safely assume that the change is going to happen regardless of what i say, so have addopted a different point of view....
*we may be human, but we are still animals*
Message 17 of 89
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

I rather think they will not answer any questions....it is a done deal for now.  The current changes will be coming in from as early as next week.

Our only hope is to keep on at ebay not to make the changes that they have proposed for the future.

At the moment we are not getting the .com format, but we will if we don't make representations to ebay.

lyndal, the situation here with eBay apparently not taking any notice of either the US members or ourselves who are both fully aware of the pitfalls that are going to happen, reminds me of something I experienced when I was working for Telstra.

To be brief, I was a winch operator at the time (hauling large cables into underground ducts) and we had an "engineer" fresh out of university who demanded that we haul a cable his way and not the way that worked in the field. As a result we snapped the hauling eye completely of the cable in between manholes. The resulting mess took the whole team 3 days to fix, when the job itself would have only taken a couple of hours had he listened to the people that knew how to do the job.

eBay's like that "engineer", they don't want to hear or take advice from those that know the boards. 

I'm certainly not adverse to change, but to radically change something that really only needs some fine tuning is an unbelievable step by (presumably) intelligent employees of eBay. Or have they employed a team of "consultants" to come up with a better way of doing things? ( and now have to implement their ideas to justify the expense of that proposal...................)

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 18 of 89
Latest reply

With all due respect.

When has eBay.com.au - ever once listened to - or acted for - anything remotely connected to our - sellers or buyers - concerns.

All they did was introduce - most unreasonable posting times - money back thingys - hey get your stuff for free times.

These changes will happen - whether we like it or not - whether we ' people power ' or not.

Having been around since 2005 - this is a given.

So far this year - I have closed 'my shoppe ' after 10 years - given it an almost total miss - gone elsewhere ( and must admit done better there in the last couple of months - than here ).

The site has become totally compromised by the changes.

The site is no longer the popular buying site.

It has so many glitches within the tech side - so many glitches within listing, buying - in fact it is a total mess.

I now - have - in red - post items - that were posted early May - hello - this is June.

All I want to do is get out of here - leave it to - the big boys - to bring it right down.

As they will eventually - they all have their own sites.

This is no longer eBay - but an extension of other sites - and has to loose.

Message 19 of 89
Latest reply

I'm copying this from the thread on the selling page:

Apart from the layout of the US boards in general, this is what else I really hate.

There is no message posted count. No, I'm not patting myself on the back because I've posted thousands of messages, but if a new member can see at a glance the amount of posts another member has made, it can instill some confidence that the person answering their message has some experience. Especially when members like myself use a posting ID with 0 feedback.

There is no feedback number visible. Again, having a number there can instill some confidence to some members that the person responding to them knows what they're talking about. My 0 feedback has concerned a number of members, as it's hard to convince them that I have thousands of feedback on other accounts, so have an understanding of how things work.

The "titles", like explorer, adventurer, are childish. That is something I would expect from a kindergarten class. Just being logged in and doing nothing earnt me 5 "badges". Reminds me of "awards" that kids get at school. It doesn't matter how good or bad you are, everyone must get one at some point.

There is so much dead space on the right hand side. Surely something could be put in that dead space?

There is no indication that a message has been read. Here, an unread message will be in bold text. That goes for new unread messages, or old threads with new messages (bold blue text) and recent threads with new messages (bold red text). Once they are read, the text converts to red unbolded. When you're logged in, you can see at a glance which threads you need to click on.

It's difficult to add photos or smileys. I tried to add a smiley from my hard drive and got a square box with a pencil. I tried to add a picture, got the same thing. Cutting and pasting a picture adds it onto a new line of its own, so you can't add one Hi.gifmid sentence. What you get there is 

blah.gif

which kind of causes you to lose the flow of your sentence.

I hate that every time you do something, the bell lights up with a message telling you what you've done. Leave my bell alone! I posted 2 replies to messages and the wretched thing lit up like a Christmas tree! Heaven help me if someone marks my reply as "helpful".

Which brings me to my last point. Helpful? Really? That's a crock.

What I do like about the layout of the US forums......NOTHING

Message 20 of 89
Latest reply