Updates coming to eBay.com.au Discussion Boards

Over the next few weeks, we’ll be introducing a number of changes to the eBay.com.au Discussion Boards.

What are the changes?

We’re introducing new ‘Rules of Engagement’ similar to the  eBay.com Community. You can review the new Rules of Engagement below.

We’ll also be making some changes to the current structure, aimed at simplifying the experience and ensuring the Discussion Boards are dedicated to eBay related discussion. These structural changes mean that the Community Spirit and Fun & Games Boards will move to Groups. Having said that, it’s important to understand that both Community Spirit and Fun & Games will still be Discussion Boards with the exact same functionality as exists right now.

Eventually, we’ll look at a ‘makeover’ of the platform which includes a responsive design for a better mobile experience, again similar to eBay.com.

The new structure is outlined in detail below.

Why?

We have an active group of users already using our discussion boards for engagement, education, insights, knowledge and friendship. We also have new users every day seeking guidance, clarity or help from experienced users and/or eBay.

By simplifying the structure and ensuring conversations are dedicated only to eBay related topics we hope to encourage more eBay members to visit and engage in conversation on the Discussion Boards. We’re also looking forward to using the Discussion Boards to better engage with hear from, educate and inform customers.

We’ve seen great results in the both the US and UK on the back of structural and/or engagement changes they’ve made so we’re taking those insights and introducing similar changes here.

Please feel free to ask questions and share your thoughts about these changes in this thread. I won't be posting every day but I will check back a few times a week.

Regards 

Michelle

Message 1 of 89
Latest reply
88 REPLIES 88

Michelle, I would urge you and your team members to read the responses to the thread below regarding the changes, hopefully you will take the views of experienced members on board........................

http://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/Changes-to-the-boards/m-p/2065622#M154740

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 21 of 89
Latest reply

And I haven't started with the list of improvements I have that can improve the site and increase eBay's bottom line.

But I tried 10 years ago to set up a meeting with free advice, now it will cost them if they want me as a consultant.

image host
Message 22 of 89
Latest reply

I did find one redeeming feature of the US forums. They don't have that dreaded link at the bottom of open threads (namely, "message listing") that can land you on any page in the history of the forums. Possibly one of the reasons why old threads get dragged up. A new member will click on a current thread, then see the link at the bottom thinking it's taking them back, but could land them on page 100. They don't realise, so comment on a thread on that page. Whammo, a dead thread has been dug up from the graveyard. Maybe we should be calling them "easter threads", they've risen from the dead 😄

Message 23 of 89
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

And I haven't started with the list of improvements I have that can improve the site and increase eBay's bottom line.

But I tried 10 years ago to set up a meeting with free advice, now it will cost them if they want me as a consultant.

They have that. They call it 'tell us what you think'. All they need to do is actually read what we think. And find one of their 7 figure employees who can understand plain English and implement what might actually work.

I suppose it's easier just to tinker around the edges and not even look at the reasons why buyers and sellers might look elsewhere. After all, if you're on 7 figures you don't want to be seen as sensible or innovative. That's for startups.

Message 24 of 89
Latest reply

Updated policy - effective 1 April 2009

Using discussion boards on eBay can be informative, helpful and entertaining.

People receive support, learn about eBay and their collecting interests, and meet new friends on the boards.

By following our values, the entire eBay community can help keep the boards a positive and enjoyable place to meet and discuss.

Each of the discussion boards has a defined purpose, or topic. 

This is to help ensure that the discussion boards are a useful and productive forum for discussion about eBay.

For example the “Ask a Member” board is designed for people to ask questions of other eBay users and receive answers in a courteous manner.

The “Buying” and “Selling” boards are places where people can discuss tips and experiences surrounding those eBay activities.

Messages posted to the eBay discussion boards by eBay community members are solely the opinion and responsibility of the person posting the message.

eBay is not responsible for material posted by eBay members.

You are solely responsible for the material you post.

Has even one member who frequents whatever board - even asked for changes.

We seem to be unanimous in wanting the boards to remain as they are.

They are not BROKEN.

Message 25 of 89
Latest reply

You're preaching to the converted. EBay doesn't care what the members want. They have proved that countless times with various things. They ask opinions before doing something and then ignore any opinions offered. Makes me wonder why they even ask.

Message 26 of 89
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

They are not BROKEN.

So they have to "fix" them so that they are,(it's eBay philosophy),Angry head bang.gif

Message 27 of 89
Latest reply

Not sure eBay could be described as the converted.

Having been around here since 2005 - the only thing that hasn't gone by the ' board ' (pardon pun) is the boards.

Have closed my shop in the last month or so - over the hoops & hurdles - just ridding myself now.

Have looked - several times at the US equivalent - sheesh - try finding your way round that mess.

Message 28 of 89
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

Have looked - several times at the US equivalent - sheesh - try finding your way round that mess.

That's probably the idea,(first they hide it so members can't find it and now they try and make it as difficult

as possible to use so even less members will use it).

It happened after the last changes to the boards,so they are probably looking for the same result.

Members will then be stuck with the "famous" Help & Contact,(so they'll get no help at all),tease.gif

Message 29 of 89
Latest reply

But - think - they do get - cutesy names like - Rising Star & Trailblazer - also candles & cake.

Probably a stamp on their hand for posting.

Kindergarten Playtime.

Message 30 of 89
Latest reply