ATO scammers threaten arrests

Con-artists claiming to be from the Australian Taxation Office are calling people up and threatening to arrest them over unpaid bills. South Australian police have received more than 20 complaints since June about the scammers, who are threatening to arrest people unless they pay thousands of dollars. Older, isolated people are particularly vulnerable to being conned, says Electronic Crime Branch Inspector Wayne Overmeyer.
Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

That is a new one.

All the calls I have had from the "ATO" have been telling me that the ATO owes me money for overpaid insurances and utility bills.  I am asked if I want the refund paid into my bank account or sent by cheque.   I thank them profusely and variously tell them to send a cheque as the ATO knows my address, or to pay it into my bank account as again the ATO has those details.  Funny thing...I never receive any of the money supposedly due to me.

I can imagine a call out of the blue threatening arrest would be a bit of a shock especially if you are not used to these calls.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

OLD TOPIC UPDATED

Just received a phonecall from the scammer.  

American Accent - recorded message 

Words included  "Arrest warrant"  "ATO"

I was gives number to call back.

I know it's a scam.  However, like door-to-door salesman, if I invite (phone them back) would that be some sort of argument they could use in that "I approached them" sort of contract.

And how can they call, if I am on the "Do Not Call" register, (which still allows a real government dept to phone me).

DEB

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

I got one of those weeks ago and I am still waiting to be arrested.

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins
Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

However, like door-to-door salesman, if I invite (phone them back) would that be some sort of argument they could use in that "I approached them" sort of contract.

they cant really use any argument to 

justify what they do.

And how can they call, if I am on the "Do Not Call" register, (which still allows a real government dept to phone me).

did they have your name?

they would have an idea of what australian

phone numbers consist of so they just keep

trying different combinations.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

@lloydslights wrote:

OLD TOPIC UPDATED

I know it's a scam.  However, like door-to-door salesman, if I invite (phone them back) would that be some sort of argument they could use in that "I approached them" sort of contract.

DEB

Do you seriously think scammers give a fig about the Do not call register?  Of course they don't.  Only legitimate businesses care about the DNR

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

@lloydslights wrote:

OLD TOPIC UPDATED

DEB....................................................................................................................

Hi Deb,

From my understanding because most of these scam calls are from overseas using Skype - they don't even hit the do not call register.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply