Am Thrilled!!!

....to receive a call to say that my gorgeous old Swiss made Bernina sewing machine (its a Record sewing machine about 50 years old) is ready for me to pick up after being serviced. I have a modern back up but nothing sews like this beaut oldie.

Service has taken 6 weeks.I am always thrilled by the standard of service given by the Bernina Company BTW, no issue here.

There are just not enough FULLY ACCREDITED sewing machine service repair people locally-I have to send my machine to Perth city (I am regional WA)

Why?.....well, there are no takers/not enough to cover the demand, for an apprenticeship in this area......ref. servicing of sewing machines/overlockers/sergers etc.

Why?.....because the pay is carp compared to other employment offerings....as told straight from a service man

This is diabolically sad.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Am Thrilled!!!

Hi Paintsew .. I can understand why you are so excited about getting your machine back and ready to go for another 50 years ...  Smiley Very Happy    I have that model too, and I love it to bits, a real workhorse and in my opinion, the best stitching ever.

My others are modern and include an embroidery machine, but I always come back to the old one time and time again.

I bought mine just after it had been totally redone and it purrs along wonderfully.  It's good to see that the parts are still available.

Well done, it's good to see you enjoying yours as much as I enjoy mine xx ... happy sewing!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Am Thrilled!!!

I know tas and EMB.

Seriously, there is something wonderful about using things that have history and live. They are real.

image host

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Am Thrilled!!!

do you shout during normal conversations with people? Just curious.

That's great news about your sewing machine. It is so hard to keep the old ones going now. A bit like old watches, not many folk know how to fix them properly anymore. And they have a nice sound  don't they 🙂 the sewing machines I mean.

edit: proof read first

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Am Thrilled!!!

I rarely get my machines serviced. I currently have the Janome 7700QCP and an older Janome that is not computerised. My previous computerised machine recently passed away at 21 yo and only saw the serviceman one during that time.

I have 2 overlockers, a Janome and a Bernina and I hate that Bernina with a passion.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Am Thrilled!!!

Hi Paintsew .. I can understand why you are so excited about getting your machine back and ready to go for another 50 years ...  Smiley Very Happy    I have that model too, and I love it to bits, a real workhorse and in my opinion, the best stitching ever.

My others are modern and include an embroidery machine, but I always come back to the old one time and time again.

I bought mine just after it had been totally redone and it purrs along wonderfully.  It's good to see that the parts are still available.

Well done, it's good to see you enjoying yours as much as I enjoy mine xx ... happy sewing!

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Am Thrilled!!!

Paint, I thought you had just become a grandparent.

Well I guess your baby is returning. Smiley Happy

image host
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Am Thrilled!!!

Kopenhagen, it really is a bit like that sometimes, I get really attached to the old machine, just like a pet ...  Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Am Thrilled!!!

Sadly they don't make anything now-a-days, to the same high standards that they did years ago. I'm writing this on parchment with a quill pen, while riding a penny farthing. Honest, I kid you not.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Am Thrilled!!!

I know tas and EMB.

Seriously, there is something wonderful about using things that have history and live. They are real.

image host
Message 8 of 8
Latest reply