'Any work 4 me?'

Jobless man in roadside appeal for work as age discrimination persists

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-07/unemployed-perth-man-uses-roadside-sign-to-get-work/8575672

how sad is it we have people begging for a job on the streets, something usually only seen in poor areas of the USA.

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

'Any work 4 me?'

That's so sad to see.  If he lived closer I would find some work for him.  Also if he has access to a computer airtasker is the place to look, but how to let him know?  He is right, 57 is young but old enough to have some sense of responsibility.

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

'Any work 4 me?'

i wonder just how many say 'screw you centerlink' because the goals set in order to recieve a pittence of a benifit are unatainable.

20 jobs a week doing what? when you only qualification is labourer?

must be a lot of 'fidling' going on in the filling of forms area as its just obvious most people with no 'skills' cant apply for 20 different jobs every week.

love to see the truth about that.

its like saying to your dog, you get dinner when you jump over this fence. then raise the fence until he cant get over it.

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

'Any work 4 me?'

@davidc4430 wrote:

i wonder just how many say 'screw you centerlink' because the goals set in order to recieve a pittence of a benifit are unatainable.

20 jobs a week doing what? when you only qualification is labourer?

must be a lot of 'fidling' going on in the filling of forms area as its just obvious most people with no 'skills' cant apply for 20 different jobs every week.

love to see the truth about that.

its like saying to your dog, you get dinner when you jump over this fence. then raise the fence until he cant get over it.

I dont always agree with your views on our social security system David, but for once I agree 100%. The system is just too difficult for people to navigate, especially for those who are poorly educated or face disabilities which affect their ability to understand and work through the system. Support for these people is virtually non existent as Centrelink staff are overworked and understaffed.

There is currently too much emphasis on punitive arrangements at the expense of genuine help. Sure those that are abusing the system need to be held accountable, but it seems that too many genuine people are being scooped up in the net designed to weed out the fraudsters.

The requirements to apply for so many jobs is just clogging up the system for the employers, the genuine unemployed people and Centrelink itself. The simple truth is there is simply not enough jobs to go around at the moment resulting in very high levels of genuine unemployment and underemployment. Making people apply for jobs that are not there is all just a bit silly really.

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

'Any work 4 me?'

It isn't only in the poor areas of the US, it is every where.  The reality is that most of these individuals don't want work, they want you to give them money.  A number of years ago, I noticed a female with a sign, "HUNGRY" at the entrance to a shopping center.  I stopped and offered to buy her a Big Mac, but she refused, saying she was a vegetarian.  I then offered her a super-sized order of fries (chips to the 'Strines}, and she again turned me down.  I suggested a $5 and she was all for that.  But I stuck it back in my pocket.

Our community has a law prohibiting the exchange of anything between cars and pedestrians on public streets, so the panhandlers are limited to hanging around shopping centers.

This in no way is suggesting that the gentleman in the OP is a panhandler, only that they do exist in the US.

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

'Any work 4 me?'

@this-one-time-at-bandcamp wrote:

It isn't only in the poor areas of the US, it is every where.  The reality is that most of these individuals don't want work, they want you to give them money.  A number of years ago, I noticed a female with a sign, "HUNGRY" at the entrance to a shopping center.  I stopped and offered to buy her a Big Mac, but she refused, saying she was a vegetarian.  I then offered her a super-sized order of fries (chips to the 'Strines}, and she again turned me down.  I suggested a $5 and she was all for that.  But I stuck it back in my pocket.

Our community has a law prohibiting the exchange of anything between cars and pedestrians on public streets, so the panhandlers are limited to hanging around shopping centers.

This in no way is suggesting that the gentleman in the OP is a panhandler, only that they do exist in the US.

I dont think there are too many panhandlers in Australia. We have a " generous"  social security system in Australia compared to the U.S which many Australians access for life. They dont need to panhandle. The problem with this, is that for some, a life on benefits makes the recipients institutionalised. Over time they lose the ability to meet the structure required to maintain regular employment and you end up with intergenerational unemployment as kids grow up in families where neither parent have ever worked.

That asside, the other growing problem we have in Australia is genuine unemployment. If you work for one hour per week in Australia you are classed as working and not unemployed. This statistical manipulation is hiding the true extent of Australias unemployment and underemployment.

There are growing numbers of people who desperately want jobs, but are unable to find them. The problem seems to be rapidly getting worse and is becoming quite alarming where I live. These people need genuine support, not ridiculous punitive measures while they live with structural unemployment. If there is simply not enough jobs to go around, it is not helpful to demand they apply for 20 jobs per week, that dont really exist. 

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

'Any work 4 me?'

of course there are fakes and thats terrible.

but to use some fakes to discredit the genuine poor actively trying to put bread on the table is a common argument.

hes a fake so therefore they are all fakes.

its the same thing happening here, if your unemployed you just dont want to work.

of course there are some collecting unemployment who wont try working for a living, they have created a life around the dole payment and are quite happy living with next to nothing.

but that isnt the vast majority, its just a poor example for a reason to tar the whole lot with the one brush.

we also get the attacks on people with disabilities, oh your not disabled! how the heck do you know who is and isnt disabled, not everyone disabled is in a wheelchair.

and then we have those attacking pensioners, oh your living in a nice house why cant you sell it and use the money to live on instead of taking my tax money?

scociety does like to attack each other often, pity we didnt just ask that those who break the laws get caught and punished and leave everyone else alone.

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

'Any work 4 me?'

@davidc4430 wrote:

Jobless man in roadside appeal for work as age discrimination persists

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-07/unemployed-perth-man-uses-roadside-sign-to-get-work/8575672

how sad is it we have people begging for a job on the streets, something usually only seen in poor areas of the USA.

You are absolutely right-age discrimination is one of the last bastions, isn't it. Racism, sexism-you have to be careful. But age-try getting a job once you are over 50 or 60!

yet the government wants to increase pension age to 70. How that works for people in heavy manual work I do not know. Gov't says reskill, get a part time office job. Where? The gov't is unrealistic.

That man is right about centrelink being difficult to work around.

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

'Any work 4 me?'

what really bothers me is when people tread on mainly poorly educated people and turn a blind eye to well educated people really stealing from us.

like politicians who seem to believe they should be beyond scruitineer.

Pauline Hanson gags former One Nation treasurer Ian Nelson over covert recordings

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-08/pauline-hanson-court-injunction-to-stop-abc-using-recordings/8...

if she has done nothing wrong lets hear these tapes. let her show that no shynanigans went on.

theres been quite a few politicians caught with their hand in the cookie jar. who know how many have weazled out of being caught?

i just love the one where we pay them living away from home payments when they live in a nice house owned by their wives (on paper)

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

'Any work 4 me?'

What I am over is politicians who don't live in the electorate.

From what I can make out, a lot live in the inner city. How can they really know what we need or what is happening here if they don't live in the midst of it?

I do read about people ripping off centrelink in benefits etc but I am darned if I know how they do it as the one time I had to deal with them (for my brother) it was very difficult. My brother was on newstart (working part time) but taken to hospital with terminal brain cancer. I had a letter from the doctors to say he wouldn't be out but the man said he would only extend the time for 2 weeks & unless my brother came in or contacted them himself they would stop the allowance.

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply