Barnaby Joyce NZ citizenship 'shock'

Barnaby Joyce not expecting to be disqualified because of NZ citizenship 'shock'

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-14/barnaby-joyce-new-zealand-citizenship-to-high-court/8803560

This really made my morning.

Message 1 of 56
Latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

Chur bro

Message 2 of 56
Latest reply

Now, let's see how wriggles out of this one!!
Message 4 of 56
Latest reply

That's hilarious!!

How many more?? We'll have no government left
Message 5 of 56
Latest reply

every interview i've seen or heard with barnaby since this duel citizenship stuff blew up has barnaby declaring 'nothing to see here, i'm as aussie has meat pies kangaroos and holden cars.

born here, raised here ect ect.

so if he was so sure of his being dinky die aussie, why was the NZ govt asked if he was a NZ citizen at all?

i completely agree if one is born in australia one would assume one was an australian citizen only. unless one had made an effort to become a duel citizen.

but this is a big deal when deciding to join the political ranks, its spelled out (from what i gather) when filling out your documents, duel citizenship is a big no no.

maybe we can blame laziness as its never really been an issue before. but saying 'i didnt know' is really no excuse. try telling a judge you didnt know what you did was a crime and i bet he doesnt say 'oh you didnt know....hmmm....well that makes all the difference....off you go, your free.'

nope, he would say its your responsibility to know.

i here some saying well what if some foreign country decided to say all australians were their citizens? well that wouldnt stand up would it. in this case barnaby was the child of a NZ citizen, inder NZ law he got given NZ citizenship as soon as he popped into the world no matter where in the world he popped out. it wasnt like NZ decided to pull his name out of hat and bestowe citizenship on him.

Message 7 of 56
Latest reply

I would imagine Johnny Depp and Amber Heard are loving this!

Message 8 of 56
Latest reply

Bill Shorten accused of colluding with New Zealand MPs over Barnaby Joyce citizenship issue

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-15/bill-shorten-accused-colluding-nz-mps-barnaby-joyce-citizenshi...

AH HA! it twas them evil labor colluders what made barnaby a NZ citizen, gosh darn it!

Message 9 of 56
Latest reply

Oh what a tangled web. I can sympathise with him not realising he was a NZ citzen, but not with refusing to step aside and trying to make it someone else's fault.

My DD is currently looking at obtaining a UK passport. Apparently the situation there is that if one of your parents is a UK citizen you are entitled to claim  citizenship through them, but you have to apply for it, it's not automatic. 

Message 10 of 56
Latest reply