Barnaby Joyce NZ citizenship 'shock'

Barnaby Joyce not expecting to be disqualified because of NZ citizenship 'shock'

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-14/barnaby-joyce-new-zealand-citizenship-to-high-court/8803560

This really made my morning.

Message 1 of 56
Latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

Can someone please explain why you need to have dual (note the spelling) citizenship?

Either you're an Aussie or you're not.  

There's no grey area.

Message 11 of 56
Latest reply

@the_great_she_elephant wrote:

Oh what a tangled web. I can sympathise with him not realising he was a NZ citzen, but not with refusing to step aside and trying to make it someone else's fault.

My DD is currently looking at obtaining a UK passport. Apparently the situation there is that if one of your parents is a UK citizen you are entitled to claim  citizenship through them, but you have to apply for it, it's not automatic. 

Only if your paternal Mother is a UK citizen apparently.  I tried to seek duel citizenship with my father being born in the UK, but i was told it had to be the mother. That was is the early 2000's, so things could have changed in the last 17 years. i havent bothered to try, since.

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 12 of 56
Latest reply

@janeababe wrote:

Oh what a tangled web. I can sympathise with him not realising he was a NZ citzen, but not with refusing to step aside and trying to make it someone else's fault.

My DD is currently looking at obtaining a UK passport. Apparently the situation there is that if one of your parents is a UK citizen you are entitled to claim  citizenship through them, but you have to apply for it, it's not automatic. 

Only if your paternal Mother is a UK citizen apparently.  I tried to seek duel citizenship with my father being born in the UK, but i was told it had to be the mother. That was is the early 2000's, so things could have changed in the last 17 years. i havent bothered to try, since.

Musta changed, 'cause my kids ' father was born in England and they were told were told the opposite   ..... 

Message 13 of 56
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

Can someone please explain why you need to have dual (note the spelling) citizenship?

Either you're an Aussie or you're not.  

There's no grey area.

i dont think anyone does "need" it.

but some people just like to keep a bit of "back home"

eg: oh i'm australian now BUT (insert country of origin here) will allways be "home"

i think you can't become an american citizen unless you prove your not a citizen anywhere else.

Message 14 of 56
Latest reply

@bushies.girl wrote:

@janeababe wrote:

Musta changed, 'cause my kids ' father was born in England and they were told were told the opposite   ..... 

Cool.  I've just sent an enquiry to the UK Gov / passports to see if im eligible for dual citizenship. By the look of their webpage, changes were made in 2004, so it might be promising. Fingers crossed LOL

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
Message 15 of 56
Latest reply

It may have changed, but that's the answer my daughter was given when she enquired, that was around 20 yrs ago

Message 16 of 56
Latest reply

20 yrs ago?  I first made my enquiry around 2001. I guess its the same as most Govt depts.....  some employees actually know the correct answer while others who dont, just fob you off with bulldust. Man LOL
Anyway, I'll see how I go.

cheers

xxj

Be Kind To Nurses....
Message 17 of 56
Latest reply

Yeah she was around 20 at the time n shes just turned 39    .... hope you can get it sorted out

Message 18 of 56
Latest reply

should we call him Barnaby Choice now?

Message 19 of 56
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

Barnaby Joyce not expecting to be disqualified because of NZ citizenship 'shock'

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-14/barnaby-joyce-new-zealand-citizenship-to-high-court/8803560

This really made my morning.

AAAHH !!!!      Its nice to have you back Dave.   The place wasnt the same without your acid, Labor Lovin, Lefty wit........Smiley Very Happy

Message 20 of 56
Latest reply