Cashless Welfare Card

moonflyte
Community Member

Could this be the end of the tragedy of alcohol fueled violence and child neglect.

A cashless welfare card aimed at stemming alcohol abuse would be rolled out across the country under a welfare reform the Turnbull government is considering taking to the election.

As regional trouble spots line up to be chosen for trials of the government’s new Healthy Welfare Card to begin next month, The Australian understands the Coalition may seek an election mandate to extend the card to welfare recipients across regional Australia if they achieve positive results.

Under the new system — proposed by mining magnate ­Andrew Forrest in his review of the welfare system in 2014 — 80 per cent of a person’s government payment would be ­quarantined to a bank card that could not be used to buy alcohol and gambling products, nor ­converted to cash.

The remaining 20 per cent could be accessible as cash.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/national-cashless-welfare-card-plan-by-turnbull-gov...

Message 1 of 218
Latest reply
217 REPLIES 217

Cashless Welfare Card

esayaf
Community Member
Yeah, it's not like anyone with a job has ever bashed his wife in a drunken rage.
Only welfare recipients do that kind of thing.
Nobody with a job has ever neglected their children.
I'm unemployed at the moment. If none of my money goes into my account how do I pay my mortgage? I don't have a wife or children. Why should I get a card. Why aren't I allowed a couple of beers on a hot day.
In fact why am I allowed to live. I'm useless, just a drain on the public purse.
I'd never vote for these rampant regressives and I'm betting I'm not the only one.
Message 2 of 218
Latest reply

Cashless Welfare Card

If that's all true I feel sorry for you.

Message 3 of 218
Latest reply

Cashless Welfare Card

esayaf
Community Member
All is true. This is not a thought out idea. Just because someone is rich it doesn't make them smart. Welfare recipient bashing is now becoming a national pastime.
We need to address the problem of alcohol fuelled and domestic violence but first we need to understand that it is not just something welfare recipients are guilty of.
I don't know the answer but this cashless card is not it
Message 4 of 218
Latest reply

Cashless Welfare Card

moonflyte
Community Member

Surely in the communities where children are neglected it is working.

All welfare recipients are not drunken bashers, nobody said that, but: if you are receiving welfare then surely the 20% cash would buy you a cold beer on a hot day.

And the rest of the money goes on rent, food and other necessities.  In the USA you only get welfare for 6 months and you have to train up for another job and you get food stamps for food.

Welfare in Australia is sadly used by a small group to support a lifestyle choice.

Message 5 of 218
Latest reply

Cashless Welfare Card

@djilukjilly wrote:

Welfare in Australia is sadly used by a small group to support a lifestyle choice.

"lifestyle choice."  one of the most annoying buzz words around.  I mean what sort of lifestyle do you get on $200 a week?  For most people getting welfare is NOT a choice.  For those workers who just lost their jobs in Queensland and who may not receive their entitlements, getting the dole is hardly a choice.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 6 of 218
Latest reply

Cashless Welfare Card

esayaf
Community Member
As you said a small group. So then why should all be tarred with the same brush.
I have no wife and no children. So who is being protected in my case?
20% cash will mean I won't be able to support my hobby of collecting and racing slot cars with my seven year old nephew. What do I say to him. That I'm a bad man because I lost my contract due to heart disease.
As usual some rich guy gets to choose how others live.
I don't tell him how to live but apparently he's some sort of expert because he has money and I don't.
The Liberal party claims to be for smaller government but it's just another blue tie lie.
They are regressives full of lies and it starts with their name
Message 7 of 218
Latest reply

Cashless Welfare Card

esayaf
Community Member
Welfare recipient bashing is now a national pastime and whether you realise it or not your use of the term "lifestyle choice" is a bashers favourite phrase
Message 8 of 218
Latest reply

Cashless Welfare Card

esayaf
Community Member
How are those that rent from a landlord that will only accept cash going to pay their rent.
what about the shops that still don't have eftpos. Is pizza only for workers now.
This card will only increase the desire of welfare recipients to find some undeclared cash work. In fact it will make unscrupulous employers to be more likely to encourage it.
So many unthought of consequences
Message 9 of 218
Latest reply

Cashless Welfare Card

esayaf
Community Member
I use eBay to buy cheaper parts to fix my car. How am I to do that. If I can't buy parts on eBay and my local car part store doesn't accept the card and have to pay five times as much to a mechanic that does accept the card then what do I eat? Grass!
Message 10 of 218
Latest reply