Cashless Welfare Card

moonflyte
Community Member

Could this be the end of the tragedy of alcohol fueled violence and child neglect.

A cashless welfare card aimed at stemming alcohol abuse would be rolled out across the country under a welfare reform the Turnbull government is considering taking to the election.

As regional trouble spots line up to be chosen for trials of the government’s new Healthy Welfare Card to begin next month, The Australian understands the Coalition may seek an election mandate to extend the card to welfare recipients across regional Australia if they achieve positive results.

Under the new system — proposed by mining magnate ­Andrew Forrest in his review of the welfare system in 2014 — 80 per cent of a person’s government payment would be ­quarantined to a bank card that could not be used to buy alcohol and gambling products, nor ­converted to cash.

The remaining 20 per cent could be accessible as cash.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/national-cashless-welfare-card-plan-by-turnbull-gov...

Message 1 of 218
Latest reply
217 REPLIES 217

Cashless Welfare Card

esayaf
Community Member
I live in a small country town. Most people think I'm still working and I keep a mental note of what the bashers say and just nod and agree but walk away
Message 51 of 218
Latest reply

Cashless Welfare Card

@chameleon54 wrote:

I find it unfortunate that many hide behind a facade of political correctness and fail to understand or acknowledge that there are major problems with the current Social welfare system.

Political Correctness?  What does that has to do with anything?

This card will be only another expensive disaster, just like privatising the job agencies is.  "Refining" generally means complicating, and making it an expensive nightmare to administer.

"Welfare major problems" are mainly fiction spouted by the shock jocks.  Could thing be done better, sure they could be; to start with the government should take back control of the privatised job centres.  But why is it necessary to attack the people who are so unfortunate that they have to be trying to survive on those measly payments?

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 52 of 218
Latest reply

Cashless Welfare Card

esayaf
Community Member
Yes and I know a woman (the whole district knows her) that stole nearly $200000 from her employer to throw through the pokies and is working it off.
Fraudsters are everywhere. Increased penalties for fraud and by the way you might get a reward if you dob him in and it is proven
Message 53 of 218
Latest reply

Cashless Welfare Card

esayaf
Community Member
What "super" said again
Message 54 of 218
Latest reply

Cashless Welfare Card

@esayaf wrote:
When I asked for the forms the Centrelink person told me I'd be rejected as they had tightened up the criteria.
Pointless to go in and ask the same person for the forms again, it'll make me look like a complete idiot.
It is what it is.

Seriously??????

Those numnuts behind the counter haven't a clue

They base things on their own opinions, not policy.

Download the form and post it

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/forms/sa466

Then, if they reject it, appeal, because then different people look at it

and you will know you have done what you can.

Don't take everything lying down from these pen-pushers whose only

qualification is that they are employed, whereas you are not

Stand up and dig your heels in

Message 55 of 218
Latest reply

Cashless Welfare Card

When I applied for DSP, I was helped by a Centrelink social worker who made the process much easier. It is not up to the counter staff to approve the application.

The forms used to be able to be downloaded, if that's still the case, then that will take care of that problem. It can be quite a process but you have nothing to lose, except for time. They have made it harder but if it is granted then you'll receive much more money than on the dole.

Those of us who receive benefits are treated like a drain on society and as scapegoats. We may not pay income tax at the moment but did so in the past and we do pay other types of taxes just like everyone else. The cashless card is insulting, infantilising and won't stop the problem that is violence and alcoholism.

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins
Message 56 of 218
Latest reply

Cashless Welfare Card

@chameleon54 wrote:

@djilukjilly wrote:

I suppose a lot kicked off the DSS were the middle eastern drug  families and others of that ilk. I don’t have any objection to that.

I know of one gentleman who was kicked off of the disability support pension. He claimed to have a bad back, but had a large shed at the rear of his house. He ran a boat repair business doing fibreglass recoats and building canoes. He is not on disability support any more, but still claims unemployment benefits. All the boat stuff is in cash, so there is no records to trip him up on. 

You seem to know awful lot of people who are dishonest, and know lots intimate details about them, friends are they?   This guy is committing fraud against DSS, and defrauding ATO, and one day they will catch him and he will have to pay heaps back with interest, and very likely ends up in jail. 

But that has nothing to do with the rest of people who get benefits for which they are eligible. 

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 57 of 218
Latest reply

Cashless Welfare Card

esayaf
Community Member
I can work I just can't do what I once could. I'm not eligible for the DSP. I just can't secure a position. I've done two weeks free trial for a handful of places but they just abuse the system and give me a glowing reference only to turn around and say that now isn't the best time to put someone on or such like.
This private enterprise method doesn't work
Message 58 of 218
Latest reply

Cashless Welfare Card

That must be so frustrating for you.

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins
Message 59 of 218
Latest reply

Cashless Welfare Card

No-one can help you if you won't help yourself.

You have been given advice.    Try it - nothing to lose

Message 60 of 218
Latest reply