Centrelink's costly new logo is a no-go

The new logo for Centrelink.

The new logo for Centrelink. Source: Supplied

IT'S the new Centrelink rainbow logo that cost taxpayers $4.6 million but nobody wants to own up to being the Mr Squiggle who signed off on the expenditure.

Despite ongoing complaints that Centrelink's call centres are understaffed, the Department of Human Services found millions of dollars for the logo update.

Announced by Centrelink on the social media site Twitter in February 2012, with a post stating: "We've got a new logo!'' the squiggle came with an eye-watering price tag.

First, departmental officials commissioned a $30,000 study into a new logo in 2010, when the Rudd-Gillard government merged Centrelink, Medicare and Child Support into one department, during the period former treasurer Chris Bowen was the responsible minister.

But the big cost arrived in 2011 and 2012 when the Department of Human Services decided to take down the Centrelink signs featuring two outstretched hands and replace them with the new rainbow squiggle. The Sunday Telegraph contacted former human services ministers Chris Bowen, Tanya Plibersek, Brendan O'Connor and Kim Carr to discover if one of them had signed off on the squiggle, but drew a blank.

The department even raised the prospect that the $4.6 million expenditure was not signed off by any minister at all, stating that "the changes to signage and minimal logo changes were handled as part of the normal administrative practices of the department''.

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

How do you feel about the coalition's plan for post offices to do the work of centrelink?

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/post-offices-not-capable-of-taking-on-centreli...

Message 2 of 33
Latest reply

$4.6 million.....could have done a lot towards feeding needy families with that.

Message 3 of 33
Latest reply

They still use it, but no-one in authority approved the expenditure for it.. is that what that story is about?

program-centrelink.png

Message 4 of 33
Latest reply

@polksaladallie wrote:

How do you feel about the coalition's plan for post offices to do the work of centrelink?

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/post-offices-not-capable-of-taking-on-centreli...

Why ask me?

Centrelink has a lot of faults. Phoning them is dreadful with waits of up to 90 minutes. Impossible to do for many. Or you have to wait in line, no seating for those who are in poor health.

Post office visits are something I don't envy either. Long waiting, rude staff.

Message 5 of 33
Latest reply

Medicare staff have now been wiped for a claim form box, their online claim service is a joke, everytime I try to use their online service it refuses to accept the item number on the Doctors Account.

Message 6 of 33
Latest reply

My nearest Centrelink is a joke..........consists of 2 people, one interviewing and one at the counter that knows next to nothing.

Lines of people waiting a mile long. person at the counter is a real drongo they are my daughters words and ringing up is absolutely pointless, you never get through after waiting forever.

So what is the new logo suppose to do, change how they operate?

Message 7 of 33
Latest reply

Freddie, the Medicare that I go to, has still got a claim box, well it did a couple of weeks ago, as I used it.

Message 8 of 33
Latest reply

sorry ^^^^ already been posted
Message 10 of 33
Latest reply