DIY Help with wall plugs please

I need some help with a small job.

I bought a tilt and swivel tv bracket for the guest room. The tv is small, maybe 5 kg's.

So, I went to the hardware store, aka Masters...............but all the clever people were gone home.

The wall is gyprock and there are no studs where it has to go.

So, I purchased some plaster board anchors that are self tapping and had screws that fit. Unfortunately, it felt very insecure when I pulled out and tilted the tv, so I have removed them again.

(The bracket came with bigger screws and those plastic plugs that you use for brick walls.)

What do you use?

I don't want to have to ask anyone  here because they will then take over and do it.................and I want to do it myself.

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If you can't get it anchored to studs like suggested using a mounting channel, there are these -

Spring toggles - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO55oYozlxA

image host

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Az my suggestion is that you either get some timber or aluminium channel long enough to span the distance between the studs and mount you TV bracket to that . Otherwise you may have a pile of useless electronic bits on the floor.

And that you can do your self

Screw the timber or channel at either end into the studs. not too difficult ๐Ÿ™‚

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Message 2 of 26
Latest reply

azure,

when you write '

@azureline** wrote:

I need some help with a small job.

I bought a tilt and swivel tv bracket for the guest room. The tv is small, maybe 5 kg's.

So, I went to the hardware store, aka Masters...............but all the clever people were gone home.

The wall is gyprock and there are no studs where it has to go.

So, I purchased some plaster board anchors that are self tapping and had screws that fit. Unfortunately, it felt very insecure when I pulled out and tilted the tv, so I have removed them again.

(The bracket came with bigger screws and those plastic plugs that you use for brick walls.)

What do you use?

I don't want to have to ask anyone  here because they will then take over and do it.................and I want to do it myself.

azure, when you write 'plaster board anchors' what are they? are they the ones that open up when you screw them into the wall?

Also, maybe they felt insecure cause you might need a 'hollow wall anchor' that takes a heavier weight- you tap them into the wall, then they open up behind the wall (like an umbrella-if you can imagine, and kind off clamp to the ohterside of the wall) when you screw them..

Do you still have the packaging? I have a feeling that the brackets might not be the right ones...

Message 3 of 26
Latest reply

Concur with all of the above.

You need to anchor it to the studs or to a piece of wood that is anchore to the studs.

I wouldn't suggest anchoring just to the plaster board.

Message 4 of 26
Latest reply

If you can't get it anchored to studs like suggested using a mounting channel, there are these -

Spring toggles - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO55oYozlxA

image host
Message 5 of 26
Latest reply

Just thinking about it- I would be using a wall anchor that has a toggle as well as the clamp- like screw.

And I would get the heaviest version...

Of course, it would be best if you were able to use the stud part of the wall, but its not always possible, and thses new anchors have been designed exactly for your use..

Message 6 of 26
Latest reply

Thank you.

The anchors are ones that look like a big white screw with a threaded bit. They are hollow and you screw the metal screw into them. I have used them before, they are strong enough to support mirrors and pictures/pinting but in this case, for a movable bracket, seems like a bad idea.

There really are no studs to use as the wall is too narrow and the height is restrictive due to optimum viewing height. I am not keen to use wood or metal to screw into as it will spoil the look of the decor ๐Ÿ™‚

The toggle ones sound like they are the better choice, I will venture back to Masters tomorrow.

Thanks for that info and all the suggestions.

Message 7 of 26
Latest reply

Az the anchors that you describe are unsuitable for the job. If you use those you are tempting disaster.

I would not recommend the spring toggles either, notice int the video that they have marked and stressed the plaster when they are tightened up  they are ok for shelved that will not carry muck weight and are stationary, but your TV bracket will be tilted from time to time and the toggles will cut through the plaster and you will end up with an accident.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Message 8 of 26
Latest reply

There really are no studs to use as the wall is too narrow and the height is restrictive due to optimum viewing height.

how do you know there are no studs to where you want to mount the tv?

if the studs are made of metal. you can find them by using a magnet, and are the best secure area to mount a heavy object safely

if not, i would suggest to use 150lb snap toggle bolts on dry walls

or swallow that ego and let somebody else do the job who knows what theyre doing

Signatures suck.
Message 9 of 26
Latest reply

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. The bracket is a small one, has a narrow bracket with 2 screws, unlike the living room one which is large rectangle shaped and tilt only.

Message 10 of 26
Latest reply