Gardening advice,wandering jew

Last year around  this time I brought some striped wandering jew on ebay.I put it in a couple of pots and all the leaves died  and only the stems remained ,I thought I had done my money  as it looked dead.Come Spring it suddenly thrived and now I have several huge pots .

What im wondering is should it come undercover for the cold weather? Its looking so good im just wondering in inner Sydney will it die off anyway and just reappear in spring or did it just nearly die off because perhaps it is not happy in dew or something ( I think frost involves ice ,we dont get that but I think its dew we get ,all wet after dark)

If anyone has in the garden  id  be interested  to know if it dies off in cold weather 

Thanks

Message 1 of 40
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

I wouldn't laugh.   Have you actually done any research on Zebrina?

Impacts

Zebrina (Tradescantia zebrina) is regarded as an environmental weed in Queensland and New South Wales.

From here -

http://keyserver.lucidcentral.org/weeds/data/03030800-0b07-490a-8d04-0605030c0f01/media/Html/Tradesc...

View solution in original post

Message 27 of 40
Latest reply

Unfortunately, the black plastic is like "home" for the succulent wandering jew helping it to retain the moisture.  

I find it's best just to throw it in the rubbish bin (not the green bin) for a deep burial at the tip. I do that with onion weed too.  I wouldn't like to have it go to the recycling green centre for someone to buy the mulch and spread around their vege patch

I've seen it die when laid out in the sun over an extended period - but why?  Just bin it.

To answer the original question on the potted purple leafed variety, it's because of its succulence that frost will freeze the "juiciness"

and therefore split the stem.  

DEB

View solution in original post

Message 34 of 40
Latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

I think some of the pretty coloured ones are tropical and will die down.  I wish the ordinary one would; terrible hassle trying to eradicate, it does not respond to sprays, and dogs are allergic to it.  It also makes my hands itchy.  And it is very happy here in Melbourne. 

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 2 of 40
Latest reply

Gosh - I've spent decades trying to get rid of wandering jew.

Message 3 of 40
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Good gravy!!   Wandering Jew will quite happily grow if you

peg it to the clothes line!!

I'm in Melbourne and I curse it every day.      original.gif

Message 4 of 40
Latest reply

Message 5 of 40
Latest reply

Lucky you if it dies back in winter. Otherwise it will run rampant all over the place and is likely to come in and strangle you while you sleep.

Message 6 of 40
Latest reply

If you have a dog,keep it away from it.I've seen quite a few develop a nasty rash when they come in contact with it.
Message 7 of 40
Latest reply

Tradescantia species - a known pest plant throughout much of Australia.

The only surefire way is to spray with glyphosate - every time a leaf appears, a light spray, (with detergent added to make it stick), spray it and it will die out. I've recently eradicated some from MIL's garden, where it literally took over.

http://www.weeds.org.au/cgi-bin/weedident.cgi?tpl=plant.tpl&state&s&region=all&card=H95

Message 8 of 40
Latest reply

lmao smiley.gif  All this advice on how to kill it.

And yet OP wants to know how to baby-sit it over winter.

If it's in pots - throw 'em in the bin!  

Now,  don't wait another minute

Message 9 of 40
Latest reply

they make a nice hanging basket if they're the striped leaf variety

Message 10 of 40
Latest reply