General Issues with eBay

Hi,

I couldn't find an appropriate section for this so I decided to post this here.

I've been doing a little shopping on eBay and I have some concerns.

1. The selling of counterfeit items.

It's not only counterfeit items, it's things like misleading descriptions. For example; I came across a membrane keyboard which was titled as a mechanical keyboard. In this case I contacted the seller to inform them and the reply was something like "Sorry I don't understand?"

I then proceeded to report the problem to eBay but discovered that there's no section to report this particular problem. Since then I have discovered another half a dozen or so items that are either counterfeit or in some way fake.

2. Sellers with multiple seemingly unconnected eBay accounts.

I was recently looking for solar panels and I found a listing for the exact same solar panel, for the exact same price, from the exact same location. I messaged both sellers and they responded 1 minute apart. I can only assume it was the same seller. This may not be against eBay's policy but it's dodgy as hell and not good for the buyers. If there's not rules against it, then there should be.

3. Unresponsive sellers

There seems to be a growing number of sellers who are ignoring all queries about the items they are selling.

This is a problem for buyers because they will be left in the lurch if they have general questions about the item they have bought.

An example question being "Where's my warranty information?" Just leaving negative feedback wont cure this problem. eBay need to step in and force sellers to answer questions.

4. False Item location information

I prefer to buy items in my own country for purposes of expedience. I made one purchase recently where the item was listed as being in NSW but it was actually posted from China.

5. Sellers "auto posting" items

How is it possible for a seller to post an item the instant I pay for it? It's not possible and it's just lying to the customer.

6. Bogus price information

I like to filter my search results by "Price lowest first." I have found this filter to be ineffective now that sellers are listing multiple, and completely different items in the same listing. e.g. Wireless mouse $15-$55 and the listing will have a battery for $15, which is not a mouse at all.

All of these problems except the selling of counterfeit items are pretty new. I think eBay have allowed the sellers more freedom to abuse the buyers.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

General Issues with eBay

I am replying to item #5
I have a red post box at the end of the street....so it is possible
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

General Issues with eBay

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You should post this on the Buying Board.....CS is for non ebay related topics.

You will get a lot more responses from members on the Trading Boards.   In fact, you will even find the answer to several of your points if you look on the trading boards.

If a seller is using the ebay postage the item is marked as posted as soon as they process the label....that is how the system works....it is not lying to the buyer.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

General Issues with eBay

i have issues with generals from north korea,

they all look the same....

Image result for north korean army general

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

General Issues with eBay

Your list is well thought out and covers many issues that have been discussed at length on both the buying and selling forums. There is no doubt that ebay has allowed many large sellers to " bend the rules " recently. This is particularly the case for large Chinese sellers who seem to work to a completely different rule book to most average Australian sellers.

Unfortunately most regular ,small Australian sellers dont share the same freedoms. We undergo intense scrutiny, with buyers having all of the power when it comes to item disputes etc. This may be OK for genuine cases but many buyers are now abusing the system to actively defraud sellers through item not recieved cases and items supposedly not as described.

In response to your statement that ebay should force sellers to respond to messages ........I understand where you are coming from but should I really be " forced" to respond to some-one who offers me 30% of the buy it now price of an item, when no offers are invited ??? ( my usual response is straight to the BBL......Smiley Very Happy    )

Should I be forced to respond to the numbskulls that buy printed material from me and then expect me to arrange digital copies to send to them immediately EVEN WHEN IT IS STATED IN THE LISTING THAT THIS BREACHES EBAY POLICY AND I WONT DO IT ???

Should I be forced to respond to buyers who ask for a suitable time to pick an item up when my listings clearly state that all items are post only, no local pick-ups available.  ?????    And when I do respond, they send me aggressive messages demanding to know why I wont let strangers come to my house when ever they please, and why I wont sit around waiting for them. Frankly its none of their business why I chose, not to accept local pick-ups.

Should I be forced to answer questions when I go away for a few days and set my handling time to five days to cover this.   ?????

If I ever get the chance to have a weekend away ( heavens forbid even a long weekend ) frankly I dont give a stoof whats hapening on ebay. If some-one chooses to buy an item from another seller because I havnt answered their question the instant they sent it, who cares ?????   I dont take the 1800-2000  listed items away with me, so cant answer the questions anyway. 

Too many people have become permenantly attached to their mobile devices and expect, almost demand instant gratification to any message they send. Sorry, but I dont play that game.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

General Issues with eBay

@chameleon54 wrote:

Your list is well thought out and covers many issues that have been discussed at length on both the buying and selling forums.

Too many people have become permenantly attached to their mobile devices and expect, almost demand instant gratification to any message they send. Sorry, but I dont play that game.

Yes, it is an interesting list and very true on a lot of fronts.

Had to laugh at your bit about people being attached to their mobile devices & expecting instant gratification. Ain't that the truth too!!

I've even had some people send me a message or email when they have arrived to pick up an item. Actually sit in a car or van in the street and send an email, rather than come and knock on the door.

Then they wonder why I don't come out to greet them. Not everyone is online 24/7, or maybe I am just showing my age.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

General Issues with eBay

So you can get to that red box 0.001 seconds after I buy the item?

They are obviously using programs to mark any item bought as posted.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

General Issues with eBay

"I understand where you are coming from but should I really be " forced" to respond to some-one who offers me 30% of the buy it now price of an item, when no offers are invited ???"

Maybe I should explain myself further. When not responding to the question results in the seller breaking consumer law, then the seller must respond.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

General Issues with eBay

Consumer law applies to registered businesses.

If the seller is not a registered business they do not have to reply at all.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply