Go away Australian Border Force

One of the many reasons that I love Melbourne. HeartYour Blue Shirts are not welcome here, Mr Abbott.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/australian-border-force-to-patrol-melbourne-cb...

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins
Message 1 of 95
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

I don't think I've ever seen anything quite so ridiculous Blue, Melburnians have voiced their opinion about it loud and clear

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 95
Latest reply

@bluecat*stopsdancing wrote:

Perhaps it was another failed "Captain's Pick"?  Another failed attempt to induce fear?

Menzies had the yellow peril from the north, Fraser had his reds under the bed, Howard had his Tampa, children overboard and "We will decides you comes to this country etc etc to get re-elected , but poor old Tony has zilch. He has to create a fear of illegals roaming the streets committing unspeakable crimes so he can use it as a re-election issue

View solution in original post

Message 79 of 95
Latest reply
94 REPLIES 94

Didn't any sensible person in any of these offices ask the question at the meeting where this was decided, "Does anyone else think that this is a dumb idea, or even legal". 

It turns out that only the Vic Police had the authority. 

How were the officers from the train, tram companies and the taxi council have any legal authority to stop anyone?

The border force authority on a public street was also apparently questionable.

The whole thing reeks of a Dads Army movie.

Message 2 of 95
Latest reply

@jean2579 wrote:

Didn't any sensible person in any of these offices ask the question at the meeting where this was decided, "Does anyone else think that this is a dumb idea, or even legal". 

It turns out that only the Vic Police had the authority. 

How were the officers from the train, tram companies and the taxi council have any legal authority to stop anyone?

The border force authority on a public street was also apparently questionable.

The whole thing reeks of a Dads Army movie.

I suspect it was another "Captain's pick".

Message 3 of 95
Latest reply

I think it reeks of a whole lot worse than Dads Army Jean.  

Joono
Message 4 of 95
Latest reply

Does that mean I need my passport in the city now?

are your papers in order...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 5 of 95
Latest reply

I don't think I've ever seen anything quite so ridiculous Blue, Melburnians have voiced their opinion about it loud and clear

Message 6 of 95
Latest reply

The whole thing sends a cold shiver through me ... history shows the consequences of that kind of behaviour  loud and clear;  there is no place for it in a democracy (or anywhere else for that matter) in my opinion.

Message 7 of 95
Latest reply

@amber-eyed-girl wrote:

Does that mean I need my passport in the city now?

are your papers in order...

i dont get it....why would you?

Earlier on Friday, Opposition Leader Bill Shorten questioned why Operation Fortitude was announced to the media ahead of the blitz, however he said Labor supports efforts to target crime.

"I do hope that any of these actions are done to try and protect Australian laws, to make sure that people are not overstaying their visas, to make sure that temporary guest workers are not being exploited," he said.

Asked if he thought the blitz would damage Melbourne's reputation internationally, he said "No".

28-08-2015 -

The Australian Border Force (ABF) will not be โ€˜stopping people at randomโ€™ in Melbourne to โ€˜check peopleโ€™s papersโ€™ as reported in media this morning regarding Operation Fortitude.

As stated in this morningโ€™s press release, the ABF will be assisting in a joint operation led by Victoria Police in Melbourne this weekend.

To be clear:

• This is a joint agency operation led by Victoria Police. 
  • The ABF will assist other agencies in this operation by conducting background visa checks on individuals who are referred to us by Victoria Police and other agencies.
  • The ABF is but one of eight agencies assisting in this operation.
  • The ABF does not and will not stop people at random in the streets and does not target on the basis of race, religion, or ethnicity.
  • Joint operations of this type are common and were previously conducted by Departmental immigration officers.

ABF activity will occur at only two of the numerous locations where Operation Fortitude will be carried out in the Melbourne CBD this weekend.

Message 8 of 95
Latest reply

@tasfleur wrote:

The whole thing sends a cold shiver through me ... history shows the consequences of that kind of behaviour  loud and clear;  there is no place for it in a democracy (or anywhere else for that matter) in my opinion.

what kind of behaviour ??

Message 9 of 95
Latest reply

Behaviour that stops someone at random on the street to ask for identity  "papers".

I would have no problem with a police officer asking me for my license etc under certain circumstances where they are looking for a suspect, or being pulled over for a breath test etc ... but a so called "border force" ... no!

Message 10 of 95
Latest reply