Happy Little Vegemites

Everyone knows Vegemite and cheese go well together, but Bega Cheese's $460 million acquisition of Australia's most iconic brand has surprised investors and caught short-sellers on the hop.hout of its safety zone of dairy and may have to raise capital to fund a major acquisition.

It is a bold move by Bega executive chairman Barry Irvin but one playing well with investors as well as the politicians applauding the return of an Australian icon to local ownership; even though the deal is unlikely to change much in terms of job creation.

Vegemite is the first Australian iconic consumer brand to be brought back by a local company in decades, after a wave of acquisitions by global multinationals which gobbled up the likes of Foster's, Arnott's, Uncle Toby's and Aeroplane Jelly.

Read more: http://www.afr.com/brand/chanticleer/bega-investors-happy-little-vegemites-on-kraft-deal-20170118-gt...
Follow us: @FinancialReview on Twitter | financialreview on Facebook

Welcome home, Vegemite!

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Happy Little Vegemites

3 cheers for bega, my cheese of choice.

dont go getting cockie and relesing vegemite flavoured cheese now.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Happy Little Vegemites

I'm sure Dick Smith will be hugely annoyed at losing the biggest name in his yearly "our icons are being sold off to the US" rant (and in any case, Vegemite was US-owned since the 1930's - Dick's entire lifetime. He conveniently leaves that bit out!).

To celebrate the occasion, I take this opportunity to pimp one of my YouTube uploads...

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Happy Little Vegemites

@davidc4430 wrote:

3 cheers for bega, my cheese of choice.

dont go getting cockie and relesing vegemite flavoured cheese now.

I have a feeling they may have learned a lesson after the abject failure of the cheese flavoured vegemite.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply