Have you ever eaten crab?

I've killed, cooked and cleaned a fair few over the years

mainly sandcrab, (between 200 and 300 a week atm - *blerk*) spanner crabs and mud crabs.

Never seen a king crab.

I've eaten soft shell crabs, but never seen them in their unprepared state etc. Don't even know what they look like.

Used to chase those little blue soldier crabs when I was a kid too, never ate em though LOL

Can't say I'm overly fussed though, my favourite crustacean and seafood is the Moreton Bay Bug followed by oyster kilpatrick, but only the small oysters, can't face the large ones, that just makes me puke.

Back to crabs though...

when you think about it, eating crabs is pretty barbaric.

I mean, first you have to kill em, and the jury's still out on the most humane way

2 common ways are

1) stick em in the freezer. But this is a shocker if you have to be anywhere near the freezer while they're "going to sleep" cos you can hear them scratching and moving and screaming in there for ages until they lose consciousness. Best way for edibility as the meat/muscle is relaxed, so not tough. Then you can sneak em inton the boiling water/court bouillion without them knowing. Nice tender flesh.

2) Bite the bullet and just plunge them straight into the boiling water. They only scream for a little while this way, but they do put up a fight and claw at the side of the pot, makes em toughen up a fair bit.

3) straight into the combi steamer - but that's like 1 above...  less flavour too as there's no boullion bath.

So now you've killed and cooked em. Now you just have to get the meat out.

you rip the carapace off, scoop out all his innards, and then dig around in all those little cavities with a sharp metal stick to get every scaric of meat out.

Then, if that's not enough, you have to break his little legs, snap em, hit em with something, crush them, so you can get the meat out of there too.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

No crabs of any variety.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

These are the most common in SA

https://www.google.com.au/#q=blue+swimmer+crab

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

@crikey*mate wrote:

I've killed, cooked and cleaned a fair few over the years

mainly sandcrab, (between 200 and 300 a week atm - *blerk*) spanner crabs and mud crabs.

Never seen a king crab.

I've eaten soft shell crabs, but never seen them in their unprepared state etc. Don't even know what they look like.

Used to chase those little blue soldier crabs when I was a kid too, never ate em though LOL

Can't say I'm overly fussed though, my favourite crustacean and seafood is the Moreton Bay Bug followed by oyster kilpatrick, but only the small oysters, can't face the large ones, that just makes me puke.

Back to crabs though...

when you think about it, eating crabs is pretty barbaric.

I mean, first you have to kill em, and the jury's still out on the most humane way

2 common ways are

1) stick em in the freezer. But this is a shocker if you have to be anywhere near the freezer while they're "going to sleep" cos you can hear them scratching and moving and screaming in there for ages until they lose consciousness. Best way for edibility as the meat/muscle is relaxed, so not tough. Then you can sneak em inton the boiling water/court bouillion without them knowing. Nice tender flesh.

2) Bite the bullet and just plunge them straight into the boiling water. They only scream for a little while this way, but they do put up a fight and claw at the side of the pot, makes em toughen up a fair bit.

3) straight into the combi steamer - but that's like 1 above...  less flavour too as there's no boullion bath.

So now you've killed and cooked em. Now you just have to get the meat out.

you rip the carapace off, scoop out all his innards, and then dig around in all those little cavities with a sharp metal stick to get every scaric of meat out.

Then, if that's not enough, you have to break his little legs, snap em, hit em with something, crush them, so you can get the meat out of there too.

Years ago I was invited to dinner at a Restaurant. The host had alrady orderd the menu for all of us.

Mudcrabs ------ LOL, the messiest meal I have ever had and have never agin eaten crab.

Erica duck18.gif

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Same as Erica.

I don't mind crabmeat, but they're messy to eat, so I don't.

I don't have prawns at functions either, for that reason. I like them, but only at home where I can peel them and then wash my hands and then eat them.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

I love crabs. I shoot them fair between the eyes with a .303 Only humane way to kill them.

can't say I've actually eaten any, can't find enough bits after the shooting

oh take your finger off the button, of course I don't shoot crabs. A dose of Quellada usually works for me

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Love crab, and yabbies, and all other similar creatures. 🙂

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

no not  keen on crabs

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply