Jobs and growth

esayaf
Community Member
Two things that the government has absolutely no control over.
Unless they are going to increase the number of public servants the government cannot increase jobs.
Reducing company tax will not create jobs. It may increase wages but any wage increases will be tied to productivity increases as they have been for years. This is why there are less people working.
Most worrying thing about all this uninformed diatribe is that not one politician is even contemplating the impact of automation that is just over the horizon.
Just to use a historical figure to highlight my point. Tony Abbott said in a factory last year that we need to increase manufacturing so as to ensure jobs for the next fifty years. What a unbelievable lack of understanding of what the future holds. Just look back fifty years ago and try and find similarities to how we live now. There are very few so how are we going to be doing the same thing in another fifty years time
Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Jobs and growth

Tony Abbott said in a factory last year that we need to increase manufacturing so as to ensure jobs for the next fifty years

he said that , then he killed off car manufacturing which also killed all the other businesses relying on them

I know a couple of professional people out of work- hundreds of people are applying for every single job.. things are pretty tough atm

in IT so much is outsourced to India now- there are hardly any jobs here

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

Jobs and growth

It's a dog chasing its own tail. The more "stuff"  manufactured the greater the number of people needed to buy it - but the fewer people needed to do the manufacturing the fewer there are earning  money to buy the finished product..

I remember as a teenager my dad explaining to me how much advances of technology were going to benefit the workforce. His theory was that  as the need for labour decreased we'd all  need to work fewer hours to earn a living.and by the start of this century the five hour day and four day working week would be the norm. Sadly, he didn't understand how capitalism really works.Smiley Sad

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Jobs and growth

Tony Abbott said in a factory last year that we need to increase manufacturing so as to ensure jobs for the next fifty years

he said that , then he killed off car manufacturing which also killed all the other businesses relying on them

I know a couple of professional people out of work- hundreds of people are applying for every single job.. things are pretty tough atm

in IT so much is outsourced to India now- there are hardly any jobs here

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

Jobs and growth

It's a dog chasing its own tail. The more "stuff"  manufactured the greater the number of people needed to buy it - but the fewer people needed to do the manufacturing the fewer there are earning  money to buy the finished product..

I remember as a teenager my dad explaining to me how much advances of technology were going to benefit the workforce. His theory was that  as the need for labour decreased we'd all  need to work fewer hours to earn a living.and by the start of this century the five hour day and four day working week would be the norm. Sadly, he didn't understand how capitalism really works.Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply