Kiva loan :)

Aww my 14 year old son just happily paid for a Kiva loan out of his own money. I suggested it to him after showing him the one I did last night and he didn't hesitate to say yes.

Just a little bit proud that he did that :-x
Message 1 of 472
Latest reply
471 REPLIES 471

Hahaha, we helped the same person ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 21 of 472
Latest reply

Awesome, he is nearly at his goal that is why I chose hime ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 22 of 472
Latest reply

It doesn't take long for some of them to reach their goal, he has taken less than 24 hours.
Message 23 of 472
Latest reply

That is good to know, thank you for introducing me to Kiva ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 24 of 472
Latest reply

**girl_interrupted**
Community Member
I just logged in and realised that I had $21 that had been repaid to me so I added a few buck to it and re-lent it. I always lend to the single mums :-x
Message 25 of 472
Latest reply

:-x
Message 26 of 472
Latest reply

Love the sound of this, will check it out!
Message 27 of 472
Latest reply

What a fantastic site,thank you so much for this thread I'm going to do my first loan next pay day ๐Ÿ™‚
Photobucket
Message 28 of 472
Latest reply

benscot25
Community Member
So is Kiva an authorised institution,is you money safe ,do you receive interest on your donation?
I have not looked at the site as yet
Message 29 of 472
Latest reply

So is Kiva an authorised institution,is you money safe ,do you receive interest on your donation?
I have not looked at the site as yet

I'm new to this but as far as I can work out it is an authorised non profit organisation that began in 2005. As with any loans there are risks and you are not guaranteed return of your loan.

There seems to be a fairly rigid set of protocols that Kiva have in place to check their 'field partners' who administer the funds to the 'entrepreneurs'. And before you choose who to loan to you can check the field partners risk rating, default rate, delinquency rate, so it is up to you to determine the risk you are willing to take. I don't believe you receive interest on your loan and Kiva lend to their field partners interest free but I think they do charge interest to the entrepreneurs.

After saying all that this was a risk that I was more than willing to take and in fact my first loan is probably one of the riskier ones I saw, but that is who I wanted to lend my money to. If you take time to look at the website, you will see how many defaulted on loan repayments (seems minimal).

And girl, that is what my friend does, she always loans to the single mums :-x
Message 30 of 472
Latest reply