Kiva loan :)

Aww my 14 year old son just happily paid for a Kiva loan out of his own money. I suggested it to him after showing him the one I did last night and he didn't hesitate to say yes.

Just a little bit proud that he did that :-x
Message 1 of 472
Latest reply
471 REPLIES 471

*lolly*gobble*bliss*bomb*
Community Member
What an absolutely fantastic idea!

I will defiantely be contributing and buying vouchers for xmas gifts.
Message 41 of 472
Latest reply

s_r2005
Community Member
Thank you for posting this thread.
I just lent money to a lady to pay for her daughter's engagement. I was the last instalment she needed, so I feel very proud ๐Ÿ™‚
I am off to see who else I can help.
Message 42 of 472
Latest reply

I just lent to a guy to help him make deliveries for his business ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 43 of 472
Latest reply

**girl_interrupted**
Community Member
yay! I'm loving these donations and hearing the story of the person ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 44 of 472
Latest reply

yay! I'm loving these donations and hearing the story of the person ๐Ÿ™‚

Nearly lost the thread before I made my loan, so am going to do it right now!
Message 45 of 472
Latest reply

Well I'm loving hearing about who people are choosing to loan to also. After getting back from Vietnam recently but finding no Kiva loans there I chose a widow who lives in Cambodia on the Mekong river (I really enjoyed my short time on the Mekong in Vietnam). This particular lady was raising money to buy her son a horse as he needs one to pull his cart (transporting goods). This was one of the riskier loans as the repayment schedule was unknown but I am happy to have taken the risk (her first repayment is due in April).

After doing my loan the next night I noticed new loans from Vietnam and asked my son if he wanted to help. He lent his money to a mechanic in Saigon to buy more tools for his business. This could have been any number of mechanic shops we drove or walked past so I think it made it quite 'real' to him. This is the loan that a repayment has been received already.

I want to make another one, maybe after Christmas ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 46 of 472
Latest reply

I had a pleasant suprise tonight when I checked my Kiva profile, I found my first loan had been repaid in a lump sum. So I've just helped fund another 'entrepenuer'.

My sons Kiva loan is being repaid on schedule and is 42% repaid. ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 47 of 472
Latest reply

excellent

i lent mine to someone and only after the whole transaction had gone through did I realise the repayment schedule was 2 years. Oh welll :^O

Message 48 of 472
Latest reply

Haha, the one that was paid back last night had an irregular repayment schedule I only noticed after I had processed the loan that the repayments said 'irregular'. I actually thought I may never see that loan get repaid but after the first repayment there was a schedule (18 months) but I guess I will never know why it was paid back in one lump sum yesterday.

I like to think that it helped the family more than expected.

Message 49 of 472
Latest reply

Got the workmates on board today and between us we got together enough cash to fund two more loans. Yay ๐Ÿ˜„

And I can't remember if I've posted this link before in this thread but it simply shows how Kiva loans have grown from an initial 7 loans back in 2005 to what is happening today.

Message 50 of 472
Latest reply