Kiva loan :)

Aww my 14 year old son just happily paid for a Kiva loan out of his own money. I suggested it to him after showing him the one I did last night and he didn't hesitate to say yes.

Just a little bit proud that he did that :-x
Message 1 of 472
Latest reply
471 REPLIES 471

It is really easy to do and using paypal is a bit safer than providing cc details, I think.

Message 61 of 472
Latest reply

j*oono
Community Member

What a great idea!  I missed this thread the first time around so thanks Leannes for bumping it.

I've got some "play money" in my paypal account so I will give it a go ๐Ÿ™‚

Joono
Message 62 of 472
Latest reply

Here's a link that explains a bit more about this Kiva promo

http://www.kiva.org/updates/kiva/2012/03/12/kiva-free-trials-1m-40k-new-users-ready.html

And for those that don't like clicking links, here you go...

We have $1,000,000 sitting in the bank -- and we want you to help us spend it!

Kiva Board Member Reid Hoffman, best known for founding professional networking site LinkedIn, has put up $1 million to give new users a chance to try Kiva for absolutely free! Simply by signing up, new users can make a $25 Free Trial loan and see the incredible impact of microfinance firsthand.

Our theory: The more people who see the power of lending at work, the more who will want to get involved. We're looking to grow the Kiva family and connect even more lenders to more borrowers. When a new user joins, they'll get to choose a borrower to loan to, get all the updates on how that borrower's doing, and watch them repay as their business grows.

These free trials will allow Kiva to introduce 40,000 new lenders to microfinance, creating a massive ripple effect that will help many more thousands around the world. When you loan through Kiva, you're not just supplying funds -- you're also supporting our field partners, who offer a range of other services to borrowers from health care to savings accounts to child nutrition classes. Just think what loans from 40,000 new users could do!

We hope that taking part in this process will inspire many of these new users to come back, lend their own money, collect repayments and do it all again. That's the beauty of Kiva -- once you invest, your money can help make change again and again and again.

The outpouring of support and lending during our first -- albeit much smaller -- Free Trial program last year resulted in 8,000 new lenders in a day! We're hoping to go even bigger this year -- and you can help! Invite your friends, your family, your neighbors and co-workers. Tweet, Facebook and email. Now's your chance to get that person you've been talking to about Kiva forever to actually try it out!

Many of our current lenders describe Kiva as โ€œaddictive.โ€ Share your healthy addiction by inviting your friends and family to experience microfinance for free. There is no limit to what we can do when we join forces to alleviate poverty!

Message 63 of 472
Latest reply

j*oono
Community Member

Cosmosgrove, thanks for bringing this here.  I had never heard of Kiva until today.

When I first started looking it made me feel a bit sad that some of them might miss out if nobody wants to choose to help them.  Like picking sides at school. You feel like they are all deserving.

Then I read the Kiva help pages and also of course the naysayers on google and Iโ€™ve got to say there are very few that donโ€™t think itโ€™s a good thing.

One thing that did make me feel better is that most of the borrowers that you get to choose from are not hoping and praying for your loan.  Many of the loans are pre-disbursed.  This is information for the Kiva help pages : -

Pre-Disbursed indicates that Kiva's Field Partner disbursed the loan funds to the borrower before posting the loan on Kiva to be funded.

Loan disbursal can happen anywhere from 30 days before to 30 days after the loan is posted on the Kiva website. Most of Kiva's Field Partners choose to disburse the loan funds before the loan request is posted on Kiva. We allow pre-disbursal because it ensures that the funds reach the borrower as soon as they are needed.

Loan funds from Kiva lenders then go to backfill that amount. By doing this, our Field Partners assume the risk that, if the loan isn't funded by Kiva lenders, the Field Partner has to fund the loan without any funds from Kiva lenders.

Basically you are backing the loan and the borrower can put the loan to good use as soon as possible.

One thing I would like to say.

When you checkout there will be an added donation amount for Kiva's operating costs before you proceed to paypal or other payment method.  You can edit this amount if you want to and pay less or more or nothing at all, but keep in mind no organisation such as this can be fully self funded.  This is the donation part.  Chances are that you are going to get your money back on your loan so please cough up a few dollars for your feel good fun.

I also hope that the free trial will inspire many people to at least take a look.  I'm impressed!

Joono
Message 64 of 472
Latest reply

The 'free' loans seemed to be a bit slow on the uptake but they are really starting to go rapidly now. And Joono it makes me very happy that this thread has helped spread a bit of kiva love, I'm glad you can see the value in it. :-x

Message 65 of 472
Latest reply

I am going to do another one in my grandchildren's names...I had messages today to ask me not to buy Easter eggs for them.

So, I am not into buying gifts in lieu as they already have more than enough, I think this is a better use of the money..

Message 66 of 472
Latest reply

I am going to do another one in my grandchildren's names...I had messages today to ask me not to buy Easter eggs for them.

So, I am not into buying gifts in lieu as they already have more than enough, I think this is a better use of the money..

Great idea, are they old enough to help choose a person to loan to?

Message 67 of 472
Latest reply

2 of them are.:-)

Message 68 of 472
Latest reply

Well I think they'll enjoy that.

My sons loan is almost half paid back, in a couple of months I think there will be enough to loan again. I hope he doesn't decide he wants his money back!

Message 69 of 472
Latest reply

Just thought I'd bump this to let anyone who might be interested that there are still free Kiva loans available. I don't think they'll last too much longer but it's a great opportunity to see how Kiva works.

http://www.kiva.org/

Message 70 of 472
Latest reply