Kiva loan :)

Aww my 14 year old son just happily paid for a Kiva loan out of his own money. I suggested it to him after showing him the one I did last night and he didn't hesitate to say yes.

Just a little bit proud that he did that :-x
Message 1 of 472
Latest reply
471 REPLIES 471

It's suprising how the momentum gathers with those small repayments. We signed on in October last year and tonights loan was our 4th one. The first one was repaid in one big lump sum which seemed odd and the others are in various stages of repayment.

Message 81 of 472
Latest reply

j*oono
Community Member

I think it's a fantastic idea.  I chose my two loans.  Honestly, it's so silly.  How much do I like the look of the person, how much do I like the idea etc.  Bunch of sillyness really.  If you can spare $25 upwards to spare whether you get paid back or not, Kiva is the way to go to help others.

Joono
Message 82 of 472
Latest reply

Haha, my son chose someone tonight who makes sweetened porridge, he thought it sounded pretty yum.

Message 83 of 472
Latest reply

On May 21, 2012 a total of $9.38 has been repaid into your Kiva account.:-D

Message 84 of 472
Latest reply

para-gone
Community Member

Ive been doing Kiva for some time - it's a great way to give someone a hand in life. Occasionally I will see someone who hasa bad deliquency rate ( it could be the lending institution not the actual person) and I give them money knowing I might not see it come back. Most of the time I choose non high risk loans LOL

Message 85 of 472
Latest reply

Oh! I didn't realise that was not the whole repaid amount.

You Loaned: $25.00

Newly Repaid: $9.38

Total Repaid So Far: $12.50 (50.00% of your loan)

Repayment Status: Paying back on time

Message 86 of 472
Latest reply

Oh! I didn't realise that was not the whole repaid amount.

You Loaned: $25.00

Newly Repaid: $9.38

Total Repaid So Far: $12.50 (50.00% of your loan)

Repayment Status: Paying back on time

It could take 12 months or longer to get your whole amount repaid. If 20 people lend $25 each to someone who was asking for $500, then when they make a repayment of say $50 that gets divvied up between the 20 people who loaned the cash.

So you kind of get micro repayments, sometimes they are only a couple of $

Message 87 of 472
Latest reply

para-gone
Community Member

It could take 12 months or longer to get your whole amount repaid. If 20 people lend $25 each to someone who was asking for $500, then when they make a repayment of say $50 that gets divvied up between the 20 people who loaned the cash.

So you kind of get micro repayments, sometimes they are only a couple of $

Thats very true. You might which to select a criteria and go looking for someone that matches it, sometimes harshly the best option is not always the most needy or emotinally heartfelt LOL. Some loans are over 2 years long and you wont complete repayment until 2014 or longer, some are short term, some have incredible risks attached to them. Your first payments are usually higher and then get much lower. But you can select to either keep the returns or recycle them towards another loan. I often feel bad that there are people in some of the countries who will never be able to start a business let alone ask for a loan but I feel Kiva offers the best chance for people to help or improve their lives.

Message 88 of 472
Latest reply

I'm pretty new to the whole Kiva thing but I'm amazed at some of the Kiva lenders profiles. There are so many that have helped fund hundreds of loans and hopefully with the trial loans running it will encourage more to sign on.

Message 89 of 472
Latest reply

para-gone
Community Member

What's even more amazing is those trial loans are possible due to an anonymous donator I don't think its Kiva itself. If you look you will also see some loans that have a "x2" sign attached which means another anonymous donator will match your own donation... incredible!

Message 90 of 472
Latest reply