Melbourne people please

I'm due to visit Melbourne next week together with my sister and our elderly mother. We are staying in the CBD (near QVM) and hoping to use the free tram network to get around in the city.
How much effect do you think the current industrial action might have on our movements, and what alternatives, if required, are there?
We are only there for 3 nights and don't plan to venture beyond the CBD.

PS Walking is not really an alternative for mum.
Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Melbourne people please

http://ptv.vic.gov.au

Is the official site. It will give you the latest news on any strikes. If you don't see a big industrial action! type banner at the top, to click on, search for industrial action in the search this site bar. That gets you the latest information.

image.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Melbourne people please

Lurker so far I've only heard that there might be a 4 hour stoppage this Friday, so hopefully you'll be OK while you're here

Message 2 of 29
Latest reply

Melbourne people please

I've been getting emails about the strike and how it will affect me....I've deleted them all because a; I dont use public transport and b; there is only one public bus where i live anyway.

Not sure if they are coming from a government body or somewhere else, if I get any more I will let you know.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 3 of 29
Latest reply

Melbourne people please

http://ptv.vic.gov.au

Is the official site. It will give you the latest news on any strikes. If you don't see a big industrial action! type banner at the top, to click on, search for industrial action in the search this site bar. That gets you the latest information.

image.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 4 of 29
Latest reply

Melbourne people please

Good one Amber  you just beat me.     We've had the tram strike and I think there's a train strike scheduled for tomorrow Thursday but of course check on the site.    Smiley Happy       

Message 5 of 29
Latest reply

Melbourne people please

Hope you have a lovely time and that the weather is good for you.

With previous tram strikes, there were replacement buses, but there were some complaints that they were few and far between. For short trips around the CBD taxis might be the way to go.

With the trams, check out the exact free zone online, that is inner CBD where if all of your trip lies in the free zone you do not need to touch on. So make sure you know when, and when not to be paying for it. Seen people get a bit caught out one stop along.

Message 6 of 29
Latest reply

Melbourne people please

Thanks everyone. I'll keep an eye on that site for current info when we get there.
I have the route maps for both the free CBD trams and the tourist ones so hopefully we'll be ok.
Now if anyone can tell me what the weather will be like and what to pack ...........
๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 7 of 29
Latest reply

Melbourne people please

@lurker172602 wrote:
Thanks everyone. I'll keep an eye on that site for current info when we get there.
I have the route maps for both the free CBD trams and the tourist ones so hopefully we'll be ok.
Now if anyone can tell me what the weather will be like and what to pack ...........
๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Don't worry รกbout that stuff Lurker - always cold down there.

Just take care of Mum.

Message 8 of 29
Latest reply

Melbourne people please

Alrighty...the weather

http://www.bom.gov.au/vic/forecasts/melbourne.shtml?ref=hdr

the past couple of days have been mild, start to spring-ish...check the site closer to your trip to know what to pack. Definitely bring one of those small folding brollys if you have one. If you forget anything the CBD is full of shops.

Message 9 of 29
Latest reply

Melbourne people please

I shall ignore that comment Helen!

Lurker, I wouldnt worry too much re the public transport, as there will be buses put on if the trams arent running. Near QV market, you will need to walk to the corner of Elizabth St for the free tram area. Any tram from that corner will take you into the city.

We Melbourne people are fond of layering, so a lovely scarf is helpful, and a light jacket too. Today was a little grey, but 18 degrees..and no rain.

What have you got planned?

Message 10 of 29
Latest reply