Nutritious weeds growing in your backyard

thats a good idea, tell people to dig up weeds and eat them....NOT!

ok if your an expert but telling anyone who isnt educated with full knowledge of what the weed they think is ok is would be asking for trouble.

i really think this is bad advice. stick to the fruit and veg in your supermarket.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-25/eating-nutritious-weeds-from-the-backyard/8299770

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Supermarket F & V isn't much better, it's  full of growth hormones, pesticides n goodness knows what else. It's usually been kept in cold storage for months, which tends to destroy the flavour, nutrition etc.    .... Far safe, healthier and tastier to grow you own produce, cheaper as well

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

no problem with home grown fruit and veg. its the telling people to eat things dug up growing wild in the back yard that ought to be a no no. how long before someone eats a poisonous weed thinking well the 'experts' said eating weeds was ok.

everyone should be able to grow healthy fruit and veg in their backyards space permitting. we did when we were young but we wouldnt eat wild growing weeds.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

It brings to mind the people that ate mushrooms that were incorrectly idenitfied as safe and got terribly sick.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Guess thats where basic common sense, comes into the equation

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

if everyone used common sense then we wouldnt have an ice problem or party drugs problem in general.

we users of our common sense wouldnt pop a pill we got off some cretin at a rave party would we?

and yet dozens of idjuts do exactly that.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

I agree, unless you grow the produce yourself, it could be risky to eat wild plants unless you are 100% sure of what you are digging up.

I am surprised they would even mention blackberry nightshade as they say unless you eat only the berries and unless they are fully ripe ie falling off into your hand, then they are not safe.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Sometimes roadside blackberries are sprayed by the local council, but it takes a couple of weeks to take effect & make the bushes look sick.

Some 30 years back I was riding my horse down our dirt road & encountered a young family gathering roadside fruit that had been recently sprayed. I directed them to my property, well off the road, where the goats hadn't yet cleared the creekside blackberries.

The City dwellers were on a day trip to Kinglake & got lost, but had a great time picking the berries & the kids rode our elderly Shetland pony & enjoyed  being ferried on the taller horses.

They also got excess veg from our 2 acres of creek flats kitchen garden, home made ginger beer, soft cheese, & some fresh duck & chook eggs to make their day out wonderful! They lunched under our trees up the back of the property - taken there in our old Landrover to fish yabbies from the dam. Very thankful for our hospitailty, but I never saw them again. 

I guess that was a pass it forward moment? As we were poor on money @ the time but in hindsight had a lot to share with others.

I've eaten dandelion weeds from my old property - somewhat bitter, but still green in Winter & Ok to add to a mixed salad. Never eat mushrooms from under Oak trees is what my Grandma taught me - fresh on cow poo is OK! I have nightshade in my yard @ present. Getting too old to pull the buggers up!

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply