One Nation co-founder suing Tony Abbott for $1.5m

A LAWSUIT by One Nation Party co-founder David Ettridge against federal Opposition Leader Tony Abbott will head to court next month.

Mr Ettridge is suing federal Opposition Leader Tony Abbott for damages of more than $1.5 million.

He has accused Mr Abbott of acting unlawfully in 1998 by assisting and encouraging litigation against One Nation in the Queensland courts.

Mr Ettridge alleges the court action was false and malicious and the resulting damage affected him greatly.

He also accuses Mr Abbott of attempting to pervert the course of justice by providing lawyers "to propel those false claims through the courts".

Mr Ettridge's lawyers served legal papers on Mr Abbott for damages on the weekend.

A spokesman for Mr Abbott told AAP the papers had been received, but declined to comment further.

A directions hearing is set for the Brisbane Supreme Court on May 9 and Mr Abbott has received a summons to attend.

"Before Tony Abbott can become prime minister of Australia he needs to be judged on his suitability to hold the highest office in Australia," Mr Ettridge told AAP in a statement.

"For his role in this disgraceful period of Australian political history, Tony Abbott has never been brought to account."

Message 1 of 52
Latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Re: One Nation co-founder suing Tony Abbott for $1.5m

I am sure the claim is not without merit.... given the whole sad sorry debacle and the Quashing of the charges against Pauline........

of equal concern is this.... can't copy paste the item here due to the words on the wicked  vehicle but google will find it 😮

Wicked slogan targets Abbott

Some people have no shame.... or boundaries. I hope Mr Abbott sues them

Message 11 of 52
Latest reply

where is the court case involving the PM ? if there was anything to the slater and gordon beat-up you can be certain the LNP would have instructed someone to initiate proceddings against her. it hasn't happened, and there can only be one reason for that .. No proof. zero.

Message 12 of 52
Latest reply

where is the court case involving the PM ? if there was anything to the slater and gordon beat-up you can be certain the LNP would have instructed someone to initiate proceddings against her. it hasn't happened, and there can only be one reason for that .. No proof. zero.

Did not mention "court action " LL so please do not add words to my remarks to which I am the author.

Ms Gillard has been dogged by questions over her departure from Slater & Gordon after former equity partner Nick Styant-Browne broke a 17-year silence to reveal Ms Gillard left her job because the firm "took a very serious view" of her conduct.

The new statement from Mr Gordon discloses the partnership considered "terminating" Ms Gillard after considering whether she was knowingly involved in fraud, but determined not to because it was inherently unlikely. "Nevertheless, the partnership was extremely unhappy with Ms Gillard considering that proper vigilance had not been observed and that (her) duties of utmost good faith to (her) partners especially as to timely disclosure had not been met."

"Ms Gillard elected to resign and we accepted her resignation without discussion."

If she was so innocent why did she resign ? I believe she "jumped ship" before she was pushed which is only one step ahead of being sacked.

Being PM at the time it was published saved her from being scrutinised further and the back room boys squashed the story because what country wants a PM with a suggestion of wrong doing hanging over their head.

Keep it nice, I might cry if you write anything upsetting (like not)
Message 13 of 52
Latest reply

What you believe and the facts may be quite different.

Message 14 of 52
Latest reply

was it up to her employer to take action if it was illegal ?

who was Tony Abbott's employer when he was a sworn MP ?

Message 15 of 52
Latest reply

"where is the court case involving the PM ? if there was anything to the slater and gordon beat-up you can be certain the LNP would have instructed someone to initiate proceddings against her. it hasn't happened, and there can only be one reason for that .. No proof. zero."
LL how would you suggest that the LNP would be legally able to initiate proceedings in a civil matter that they were not party to?

"Styant-Browne's assertions included that an internal probe by the firm culminated in a "recorded and transcribed" questioning of Gillard on September 11, 1995, in relation to legal work she had done in the previous three years for her then boyfriend, the allegedly corrupt AWU boss Bruce Wilson.
The outcome, says Styant-Browne, was that the partnership "took a very serious view of these matters, and accepted her resignation".

Where is the court case for Abbot assauting a wall?

Ettridge tantrums 15 years later in an election year, I wonder why (I lie). I can not be bothered checking various statute of limitations, but do suspect that nothing of legal consequence will be found against Abbott, and no further action will happen. In fact an Ashby finding would be fitting: "abuse of process" for political purposes.

I wonder how Abbott can be fitted into the court calendar, as so far this year we have Labor luminaries Slipper, Thomson, and  Williamson, due to appear before "the beak".

Message 16 of 52
Latest reply

was it up to her employer to take action if it was illegal ?

who was Tony Abbott's employer when he was a sworn MP ?

Answer to Q1 - yes but I believe it was to much of a "hot potato" and discretion was used.

Answer to Q2 -  I do not know who his immediate boss was at the time but Mr Abbott was The Minister for Employment Services (21 Oct 1998 to 30 Jan 2001)

Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Employment, Education, Training and Youth Affairs (11 Mar 1996 to 21 Oct 1998) so I guess who he worked for at that time should have been the person or persons to begin any litigation.

Keep it nice, I might cry if you write anything upsetting (like not)
Message 17 of 52
Latest reply

LL how would you suggest that the LNP would be legally able to initiate proceedings in a civil matter that they were not party to?

joking right ? how do you think they have managed on other occasions. via a third party of course. i thought you a little less naiive.

Message 18 of 52
Latest reply

Why not sue the guy that made the accusations???? 

Tony Abbott did not make those accusations so why should he be the one sued? 

He set up the slush fund to destroy the Hanson Party.

Message 19 of 52
Latest reply

supreme court accepted and stamped ettridge's lodgement, matter to be heard on may 9th, for a directions hearin' 

bribery of a witness, pervert the course of justice, among other grievances.

i for one take a serious view of these matters, calls into question abbott's suitability to be pm, until such time as this case is settled.  

much as it grinds my teeth, i listened to an interview between smith and ettridge on this action, ettridge mentions the ol' maintenance and champerty to be included, as a part of 'is defence.  folk'ere can find it on a google search, if they want to hear it for 'emselves.  

Message 20 of 52
Latest reply