Political question

lal-au0
Community Member

This thread is about a technicality and NOT about who is the worst/most inept party/politician.

Please stay within the topic.

I am NOT interested in another tony/the other labor guy/whoever bashing.

My questions are:

1) can tony just bumble around until the next election (in 4 years?) not getting his budget through until then?

2) isn't that what a double dissolution is for?

3) if almost every single thing he wants to do gets thrown out by the senate doesn't that mean that his government isn't working and therefore there must be new elections?

Message 1 of 34
Latest reply
6 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Political question

Australia follows, to a great extent, the conventions of the Westminster system. For example, the prime minister must have the support of a majority in the House of Representatives, and must in any case be able to ensure the existence of no absolute majority against the government. In relation to the budget, that requires that if the House fails to pass the government's budget, even by one dollar, then the government must either resign so that a different government can be appointed or seek a parliamentary dissolution so that new general elections may be held in order to re-confirm or deny the government's mandate.

Thats an exerpt from wiki that might answer your budget question
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_federal_budget

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 34
Latest reply

Political question

Bishop is not necessarily next in line, she may know about Foreign Affairs but she knows nothing about Domestic Affairs.

My questions are:

1) can tony just bumble around until the next election (in 4 years?) not getting his budget through until then?

Next election is in November next year 2016. No, he can't keep bumbling along, he has been given 6 months to improve by his MP's. Then if not, a new leader.

He seems to want to avoid that... I wonder why... 'cause he would lose.

3) if almost every single thing he wants to do gets thrown out by the senate doesn't that mean that his government isn't working and therefore there must be new elections?

Not really, means they have billions of dollars hole in their Budget... what else can they do to cut costs/raise revenue to replace expected refence from the dud measures they proposed in the last budget? Raise GST... etc

Message 12 of 34
Latest reply

Political question

What we need.....is to be rid of self-serving, lying politicians like Tony Abbott and his Team 'Astraya maaates

Message 20 of 34
Latest reply

Political question

aftanas
Community Member

@lal-au0 wrote:

This thread is about a technicality and NOT about who is the worst/most inept party/politician.

Please stay within the topic.

My questions are:

The answer is no.  Pursuant to section 5 of the Constitution the Governor‑General may dissolve parliament and call elections.  By convention this is only done on a request from the Prime Minister.  Double dissolutions are provided for under section 57 of the Constitution and occurs if a bill is twice rejected by the Senate.  However, under section 57 the Governor-General is not required to dissolve parliament: it is a discretion and, by convention, is only exercised upon a request from the Prime Minister.  This was the problem with the dissolution of the Whitlam government in 1975: Governor-General John Kerr exercised the discretion in the absence of a request from the Prime Minister.  After what happened to John Kerr, no Governor-General will ever ignore the convention again.

Whether the government is working or not, parliament will only be dissolved on a request from the Prime Minister.  However, I think if the government is failing so badly because of stubbornness on the part of the Prime Minister, the government caucus will act to correct the problem.

Message 25 of 34
Latest reply

Political question

to the OP:

However, there are some powers which the Governor-General may, in certain circumstances, exercise without – or contrary to – ministerial advice. These are known as the reserve powers. While the reserve powers are not codified as such, they are generally agreed to at least include:

1. The power to appoint a Prime Minister if an election has resulted in a ‘hung parliament’; 
  2. The power to dismiss a Prime Minister where he or she has lost the confidence of the Parliament; 
  3. The power to dismiss a Prime Minister or Minister when he or she is acting unlawfully; and 
  4. The power to refuse to dissolve the House of Representatives despite a request from the Prime Minister.

http://www.gg.gov.au/governor-generals-role

Message 28 of 34
Latest reply

Political question

...LOL I don't have 'sound'.....hope Queen is saying "Off with his head!'..............?

Message 31 of 34
Latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Political question

vicr3000
Community Member

Re 3

Partly and No to new elections unless PM calls them.

GG won't get involved.

Thinking about 1and2
Message 2 of 34
Latest reply

Political question

Australia follows, to a great extent, the conventions of the Westminster system. For example, the prime minister must have the support of a majority in the House of Representatives, and must in any case be able to ensure the existence of no absolute majority against the government. In relation to the budget, that requires that if the House fails to pass the government's budget, even by one dollar, then the government must either resign so that a different government can be appointed or seek a parliamentary dissolution so that new general elections may be held in order to re-confirm or deny the government's mandate.

Thats an exerpt from wiki that might answer your budget question
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_federal_budget
Message 3 of 34
Latest reply

Political question

what is GG?

Message 4 of 34
Latest reply

Political question

GG = Governor General
Message 5 of 34
Latest reply

Political question

can tony just bumble around until the next election (in 4 years?) not getting his budget through until then?

Woman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOL

Message 6 of 34
Latest reply

Political question

so there is a deadline.

he has to present his budget  May or August 2015?

Message 7 of 34
Latest reply

Political question

Presumably.

I don't know about the exact months someone else might but he has to get a budget passed this year and I would have thought by the end of the financial year
Message 8 of 34
Latest reply

Political question

I think at some point he would have to call an election.
Message 9 of 34
Latest reply

Political question

i don't think he has to call an election before time. i think that is what the dd is for.

soooo they will have to make bishop pm before the dd so the liberal party can be re-elected....

that leaves only a few months. hhmmm interesting.

Message 10 of 34
Latest reply