What Would You Do ?

Yesterday I was walking through the LIbrary

and right in front of me was $10 on the floor

it was right out in the middle of the room , no one was standing next to it

so I pick it up and put it in my pocket and walked out as I was about to do .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some years ago I worked as a checkout operator at one of the Big 2 supermarts

one day an old man came through my checkout and paid with $100 note

I could see a smalll dog ear in the corner but noticed that the note was still complete

thus meaning that two $100 notes were perfectly stuck together

I acessed the situation quickly in my head because I had never struck this before

1- just put it in the register it belongs to C*l*S

2-put it in my pocket no one is ever going to know and the register will balance

3-give it to the old man even though he had no clue and would have recieved the notes joined

anyway I had a quick look  to see that the supervisor was not around pulled the two notes apart

and gave the second one back to the old guy

he was so happy that I thought I had done the right thing but never told any of  my co-workers about it

what do you think you would do ?

Message 1 of 59
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

What Would You Do ?

1st scenario:  Give my name and phone number to the librarian stating that should anyone have lost some money there, they could phone me and identify how much had been lost and we could meet at the Library later for the "hand over".

2nd:  Immediately check if the notes are not counterfeit.  If genuine hand back one $100 note and give appropriate change for the other.

DEB

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 59
Latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

What Would You Do ?

Pick up the ten and give back the hundred. One was found the other would have been theft
Message 2 of 59
Latest reply

What Would You Do ?

Give it back. Always have, always will.

It goes without saying.

image host
Message 3 of 59
Latest reply

What Would You Do ?

I would nor even think about it would give the money back.

The only time I kept money I had found, was a windy day in Southport and a fifty dollar bill hit me in the face.

I did look around to see who owned it.

Two weeks later I saw a young in the vinnies store asking for help, he had lost his job, he went out side to wait for the manager to come in, I gave him fifty dollars.

I felt good.

Message 4 of 59
Latest reply

What Would You Do ?

How would you know who to give it back to if it was just lying on the floor?

Would you go around to everyone in the library and ask "hey did you lose $10?"

Would you know even if someone said yes that they were telling the truth?

Message 5 of 59
Latest reply

What Would You Do ?

1st scenario:  Give my name and phone number to the librarian stating that should anyone have lost some money there, they could phone me and identify how much had been lost and we could meet at the Library later for the "hand over".

2nd:  Immediately check if the notes are not counterfeit.  If genuine hand back one $100 note and give appropriate change for the other.

DEB

Message 6 of 59
Latest reply

What Would You Do ?

It was my ten dollars. I remember that day well had to go without lunch
Message 7 of 59
Latest reply

What Would You Do ?

*pepe
Community Member

its a no brainer - hand the money in - its not yours, you're not losing anything.
if nobody claims it then its a donation to the local library.

as for the other that is a no brainer too - the money belongs to the customer.

Message 8 of 59
Latest reply

What Would You Do ?

@lloydslights wrote:

DEB

yes I think you are right  on the first senario 20 years ago that is definitely what I would have done

but now days I think so many people trying to rip you off that if something comes my way I just say thank you lord and put it down to devine intervention , like the flying $50 mentioned by another poster

If it had been a wallet I would most certainly have handed it in to the desk

Message 9 of 59
Latest reply

What Would You Do ?

as much as i could use it, i would give it back. sad thing is, in the case of the old man at checkout, he probibly got the 100 bill that way from someone else who it should have been given back to, but my soul is clean, now its on him to do the right thing. with the 10 at the library, id pick iit up and wait around to see if anyone asked about it. thing with that is, if you hold it up and say "did anyone lose this?" someone could say yes and claim it, even if they didn't. or it isn't theirs. id give it to the person behind the counter to hold for anyone who asked if money was found. i wouldn't take it, it's not mine to take.

Fun Factor : Now you have a choice in chat, factor that
Message 10 of 59
Latest reply